Emssions and smoke ?

I have had this Micra sat on my drive now for three weeks , it came to me as an mot failure on welding and emissions .

DSCF8503.jpg

I have sorted the cills with some big plates and I assumed that a horribly blocked air filter was causing high emission readings .

But

I have just been out this morning and started her up and after five minutes running I am getting a lot of grey smoke from the tailpipe when it is revved .

DSCF8505.jpg

I am not 100% certain but it could be the head gasket ( no sludge in the oil , just a tiny amount of grey in the oil cap )

Any other ideas ?

If it is head gasket would I need any special tools to change it .

Not really used to petrol engines in cars I have run diesel vans for the last twenty years

It is a K11 1.0 with 13800 miles on

Steve

Just had a thought .

I know replying to your own thread is a bit sad but that's how I roll

When I drove this car home three weeks ago , there was no sign of smoke or poor running ( A distance of about 11 miles )
and my son has just told me that while I was out one day he topped the oil up with the oil that was in the shed .

The only oil that I have in my shed is for diesel engines 15/40 .

could that be causing the smoke ( it did not smoke before the oil top up )

Steve

It's probably just because it has been stood. One of my cars was the same, it never went anywhere apart from around the garden.

the cold exhaust will always initially emit steam due to the warm gases condensing along the cold pipe walls.

drive it round the block first to heat up the engine & exhaust system fully and then recheck if it still smokes or steams.

Panic over

After the rain has stopped I finally have found the reason for the smoke

DSCF8508.jpg

Just look how much oil is in the engine

compare it to a clean dipstick with the full level clearly marked

DSCF8509.jpg

Looks like an earlier oil change is on the cards
( note to self ) dont let my son tamper with the car .

Steve

Is that measured from a cold engine that hasn't been run for least n hour and on a level floor?

The oil level usually drops down afew mm when circulating round the engine but if its very excessive it could foul the crank during turning which could churn up the oil and reduce oil pressure and produce alot of crankcase oil vapour which is sucked into the inlet via pcv and burnt as a hint of blue smoke

Its also abit dark so I'd change the oil n filter. Better to change em too often for a fresher engine than never

Back