1.0 - 1.3 transplant

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
Ok so my dads picking up a car for his boss today, a 1.3 micra he bought from an insurance company. Now they're talking about giving me the micra to take the engine (39K!!) and other things out of (the rear of the car is FUBAR)

I have an R reg Passion, and the car in question is an L reg (not sure exactly what model till it comes in)

So my main question is what sort of problems should we expect to encounter while doing the swap? Will the ECU or NATs be a problem?

And would i be better off taking the gearbox, manifold and other bits while im at it or are they more or less the same? We also have an L reg 1.0 LX at work with around 38K on the clock, this has extensive front damage but the exhaust and everything is fine so if a 1.0 exhaust is more or less the same then i'll use it as the other micra's exhaust is damaged and mine is basically falling off lol.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

rob

it,s just the pre98 1.0 that has a smaller g/box, flywheel etc.
the ecu will be ok, and the pre coilpack exhaust etc is the same

The 1.3 engine will run fine on the 1.0l ECU, or if it does become an issue, or to get best gains a 1.3 NON NADS ECU can be fitted, something which Ed can do. As he done this to mine.

You'll need to change the engine, gearbox and driveshafts. Everything else can stay as is. It's not a massive job, one thing to make things easier, put a bit of tape round each of the plugs on the loom and label up where each of them go, so when putting back together it's that little bit easier.

Ollie

all this for a maximum of 20bhp gain

Think of it another one, 20 BHP gain on 55 BHP is a massive increase % increase!!!

A few mods on a 1.3 will see you into the 90 BHP mark (at the fly)

ollie

i think the only difference, is a bit more ignition advance at high revs on the 1.0 ecu (which is a bonus :grinning: )

May only be 20BHP, but having browsed this site for a while i've noticed the comments people make about how much difference there is between the 2 engines, plus it'll probably be more reliable since mines at just under 82K.

If we've learned anything from Tesco, its that every little helps.

That aside, thanks for the useful comments frank and ollie.

Around how much did Ed charge for the installation of the ECU? And thanks for the advice on labelling the plugs, although we already do stuff like that (Y)

Gonna have a search for a blog anyway see if anybody had any problems
with their swap.

procisely, it costs more than a straight swap and takes longer, which is a pain especially if its your only car. not to mention insurance.......

Back