09 MAJOR DESIGN PROJECT-CUSTOM F/G DASH

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
Hey guys
well its HSC time and for design and tech I have to do a major project that will last 3 terms. I go to Scots school in Albury. I had originally decided on doing a sub enclosure but I got bored e hols and kind of already did it, so it was back to the drawing board, I was tossing between a body kit and a dash, I went for the dash cuz the body kit will take forever. So did up all the planning drawing designing etc and now it’s ready to be built.
This thread will be going into my portfolio as evidence of evaluation (so you must all say nice f about me so I get extra marks lol), as a log book for me and the markers and to show you all what im doing. So all comments are greatly appreciated as it goes toward getting me more marks.
I went and got 5 sqm matting, 50 mm catlyst, 4 ltr resin, 3x speco gauges(tacho, oil pressure and amp), mdf, safety equip, the list goes on so does the price, I have a $600 budget for this project half me and half my parents.
Any way onto pics
I chopped up the matting into squares, measured up brackets for switches, a/c controls, headunit and then started cutting out.
thanks for reading and watch out for updates

Attachments

• 42944.jpg
    42944.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 48

smidge

» CMF Member
Nice work mate. My year 12 DT project was an mp3 player in my car... got nominated for that art express thingo!

mp3 in a car? so what?... well, back then (man i sound old now) Mp3's players didn't exist yet so it was a whole PC chopped down wired into the boot with a hand controller and it routed through the stereo

anyways, seen your glass work so far and its pretty impressive especially for your age so all the best with it happy to help answering any questions you have but it looks like you have it under control!

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
cheers smidge
well only really got all the brackets cut out today, im finding it hard cuz i only get an hour for a period so it flys!!!
but here is some pics
my dust blower i was having trouble seeing the line cuz it was covered in dust so i got the compressor hooked up the hose, but it in the vice and help the handle in with tape, genius!!!

Attachments

• 42975.jpg
    42975.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Good to see you're using appropriate safety equipment (presuming you do wear those earmuffs and glasses in the last pic). <BR><BR>Is all the construction just going to be MDF?<BR><BR>---dens

hell yeah saftey first its to dangerous to risk, the skelton/frmaework is going to be out of mdf and dowel, mdf for brackets and the side walls and dowel for the curves and stuff

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
sorry about the lack of replying ive been sick
but im good now so its on witht the project, went to benalla this morning and pulled a dash out of a wreck and various other bits, 2 garbage bags full lol the car is compleatly stripped with everything i thought mite be usefull taken.
anywho played around with gauge placment and trimmed the dash to make way for the skelton.

Attachments

• 43335.jpg
    43335.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 33

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
This looks pretty impressive. I love the look of the sketch!

But I'm nervous for you, and this is probably an obvious thing, but have you checked the clearance between the centre console and the gear shift? It looks like the centre console is going to end up sitting pretty far back from the original position and encroach on the cabin space...

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
hey well i got material streahed over the bttom half of the dash as i will be doing it in two parts to make it easier and to prevent warping

Attachments

• 43701.jpg
    43701.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 36

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
yeah fiberglass over the entire dash, i had to do it in 2 sections the top and the bottom which you see above because it would be easier this way and prevent warping. for the finish i wanted to wrap it but now im thinking a satin paint a tan colour,

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
got a it of work done over the weekend, streached material for my shape layed some glass and started work on mounting the dash cluster and the a/c controls and headunit.
took me hours to mount those gauges lol
enjoy

Attachments

• 43809.jpg
    43809.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 36
Back