You've heard it before - Engine noise!!

Morning guys,

I have a SR P reg K11 with 76K.

For a while it's had a loud terrible noise coming from the back left hand side of the engine. Where the belts and pullys are.

It's like a ... shh shhh shhh shh shhh shh ( But fast lol )

And very loud. This is when driving and also when at idle. I was trying to figure what was causing it, and found if a little WD40 is sprayed on the back bottom belts/pullys , the sound goes away ?? ( I know your not ment to do this but was curious )

I've had all the belts tightened but its getting really bad. Do you think the cam belt needs replaced?

I have searched the forum and only found this which sounds a little similar - http://www.micrasportsclub.co.uk/sho...t=engine+noise

But ths noise is different, and also the fact it does quieten down when putting a little WD40 on the belt/pullys

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Iain.

You don't have a cam belt so that won't need replacing :p
K11 Micras have cam chains which rattle when they are old and a bit cream crackered!

If you have a noise coming down from the lower end of the engine then I'm thinking it may be water pump, oil pump as thats all thats down that side of the engine on the pulleys as far as i can remember anyway!

You don't have a cam belt so that won't need replacing :p
K11 Micras have cam chains which rattle when they are old and a bit cream crackered!

If you have a noise coming down from the lower end of the engine then I'm thinking it may be water pump, oil pump as thats all thats down that side of the engine on the pulleys as far as i can remember anyway!

:blush: Ah theres one thing I can cross off! lol Thanks mate.

It seems to be mainlythe very bottom back pulley, would you know if this is the oil or water pump?

It does stop when I spray WD4 on it. So looks like it is either the Oil or Water pump belt?

Again thanks for your help!!

It could be be bearings in the water pump (is there any side to side play in the wheel itself), thats if its the water pump pulley (slightly up and back from the main pulley?).

It could be be bearings in the water pump (is there any side to side play in the wheel itself), thats if its the water pump pulley (slightly up and back from the main pulley?).

I've took a quick pick. It's the one furthest to the back, if you look down the top of the engine, you can see it.

DSC00253.jpg

Nothing major mate, it's just a belt as confirmed when you spray wd on it...Change the belt and make sure its tensioned correctly or just try getting it tensioned !

Back