Engine noise

hi i have just brought a engine from a scrapyard as my old engine was rattling and i though it may of been the timing chain so i thought id change it incase the noise got worse.
just took the engine out yesterday and have put the scrapyard one in and when i fired it up it made a VERY loud noise 10x worse than the old engine but after 10mins of it being run the noise has slowly gone away.
the only problem now is that when u blip the throttle eg 2000rpm the noise comes back.
i have tried to sole the problem eg alternator, slacken the belts a bit.

does anyone know of this noise and what it could be.

hiya we have changed the old to some prolong stuff and the noise it hard to describe it like a whining knocking noise or another way to put it a grinding metal noise.
when when on idle you can barely hear it its when your rev it to 2000rpm ish :(

What kind of sound is it giving out? Rattle, grinding, tapping, banging etc... If the engine was stood for a long time in damp conditions then there could be a rusty/partially seized section on the timing chain (you know how push bike chains can seiz up solid). So it might be that, which plenty of fresh oil and being left to idle should help/solve.
Take the black side panel off next to the engine mount and peep in at the chain and the tentioner, see what kinda condition they're in.
If all else fails, give the old engine a check over to see if it really was the chain. But fortunately you can afford to run the new engine and not worry too much about it coz if it packs in you've still got the old one.

Just seen the post saying it sounds like grinding metal, check that the tentioner is not seized, it needs to move in and out freely.

ahh yes the only problem is i need the car this saturday for a trip out. i hope its not the timing chain and also it sounds like metal rattling somewere but can find it.

With rattles always check the exhaust covers and manifold heat shield before anything else. One of my friends once booked his k11 in to have his chain done for 200 and odd quid, so i checked it for him before he took it and it was his chuffin manifold cover that was rattling. I had a similar thing on my k10 with the altinator bracket rattling, it sounded like the engine was gonna fall out.

Ok cheers I'll hav a look later but for more info the noise it coming from the drivers side but sounds like it's behind the rocker cover somewere

Back