K11 whining noise from engine bay

Hi all, my better half picked up a cheap 2001 Micra last weekend, I've been giving it a once over trying to tidy it up a little and need a little help with a whining noise it's making. It sounds like it's coming from one of the two belts on the engine, but I'm not sure whether it's a belt that needs replacing, or something else. You can't always hear it and it doesn't seems to be speed related, but I have noticed the pitch changes a little when the revs go up (having said that the pitch doesn't change a lot, you can rev all you want, it will only increase a certain amount).

I hope I've made that clear - hopefully some clever clogs on here can give me some pointers on what it could be? I've uploaded a short video on YouTube as well, hopefully it will clarify what I'm talking about!

No one has any ideas? :(

Inspect test and diagnose in sequence is key to avoiding unnecessary work and expense!

Does the noise change with the air con on? Or Head lights on? or Power steering operating?

Are the belts noisy, dry or slipping? Sitting low in the pulley grooves loose & worn out?

Identify the specific noise source;

1. Use a water spray bottle to momentarily dampen each belt one at a time while listening for any significant change in the noise?
  2. Have a competent mechanic use a stethoscope to listen to the running bearings of the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and air con compressor. Warning note, this is a hazardous operation not suitable for the DIY amateurs. Get a competent mechanic to do this part of the diagnosis!
Enjoy happy hunting/diagnosing

Last edited:
Back