Strange noise from engine

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
Please help me with ideas, I am stuck :)

When I bought this car recently there came a strange noise from the engine - the 'dealer' said it's from the alternator's bearing. And I was quite sure that he's right!
It did exactly sound like a dry, weary bearing. He gave me a spare alternator - I thought I'll replace it in ten minutes, and the problem is over...
...but it was not so easy ...
Replaced the alternator and the sound is still there.
OK - thought - then it must be the water pump.
But the water pump and the tensioner ran smoothly.
I started the engine WITHOUT any belts and realized, the the creaky weared bearing sound is still there!!!

Where could it come?
I still think it should be some bearing - but a 'dry' one, not in the oil-circle of the engine.

I'd thank any suggestions!

CMF_c.rusli

» CMF Member
Return it back to the dealer. you have 3 months stat warranty.
if anything wrong between those 3 months, they will fix it.

What made is the car?
DO you have any video / sound clip for the sound?

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
c.rusli WROTE:

"Return it back to the dealer. you have 3 months stat warranty.

if anything wrong between those 3 months, they will fix it.

What made is the car?

DO you have any video / sound clip for the sound?

It is made in the UK in 1993.
I can't take it back, the situation is much more complex - but I think there's no point on going into details.

The fact is: the car seems to be a bit worse then I thought when I bought. (be aware of woman's cars! :) )
Fact II: I have to repair, there are no alternatives.

I'll make some videos later, but now the front of the car is completely disassembled as I have to do some welding and painting on it.

sr20micramike WROTE:

"Distributor

It's a good idea.
The other would be the timing chain tensioner, but that runs in oil...

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Tinky WROTE:

"Maybe throwout bearing on clutch or input shaft bearing in gearbox ? Wrong end of engine though if sound is coming from the front of engine?

had this problem, input shaft bearing only happened when clutch is engaged

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
timing chain noise , my daughters car had this type of noise , using a tube to locate the noise helps , but to be fair it went for ages making the noise . I have noticed lots of Micras have some chain noise of varying noise type and magnitude , suppose it goes with having metal timing chain as opposed to a rubber belt !!

CMF_jmos

» CMF Member
Yesterday things seemed to turn even worse:

After starting the engine there was NO oil pressure for a second. I'm worrying even more! :)
To tell the truth - this was the first and only case it happened. I started the car approx 10 times since that and it worked allright. (Not mentioning the original problem.)

Here's a short video:

The strange noise sounds especially loud, when I release the throttle.
I was thinking hard to solve the problem, and I found, that if I remove the crankshaft oil seal from the front of the engine I should see more.
BTW that seal is definitely damaged, because there're some signs of oil leakage at the front (left side) of the engine from under the crankshaft pulley!
But I'm really afraid that the oil pump is somehow damaged! >:-(

How hard is it to replace?
1. I suppose I need to lower the engine by unscrew the "front" support.
2. Remove the crankshaft pulley
3. Remove the front cover.

Do I need to remove the oil pan?

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
sounds like the chain to me jmos, and a bit cranky too, and yes you have to remove the sump to get the cover off (and the cylinder head ideally)
you could hold a cam and turn the crank pulley to measure how many deg of slack the chains have (anything over 25/30 deg is well worn)

Back