wtf did I just remove from my gearbox

hello - first time poster here so go easy please!

I am changing the gearbox oil on a 1.0L k11 micra from 2002. I couldn't see a 1/2" square drain plug anywhere as described in everything I've read to date, so I set about removing what I thought could be a cover for the drain plug. It was secured by a single phillips head screw and looks like an oval plate. It turned out not to be a plate and acted as a drain quite effectively!

The visible plate is one end of a spring loaded cylindrical assembly, which came out along with a ball bearing. It is about 2 inches long with a rectangular plate at the top (i.e inside the gearbox), the plate has a groove down one side which I think the ball bearing runs in. Any idea how this should go back? or what it is!?

before I get slated for not being able to see the square holed drain plug - I don't have a square holed drain or fill plug! They are both hex sockets, I don't know if that could tell you anything.

Many thanks for any ideas!

the 1.3 and 1st facelift g/box plugs are square mike, the 2nd facelift/coilpack g/box,s have hex plugs
it sounds like you removed the selector rod

thanks frank, I thought it might be somethign to do with locating gears. I put it back in with the ball bearing sitting on top of the spring loaded platform and it all seems to be working fine

yup it's simply a return spring that centers the gearstick from 5th/rev while the small spring under the stick centers it from 1st/2nd

2010-09-376-jpg.33591
2010-09-378-jpg.27835

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-11#post-419891

Back