Splitting a k11 1.3 gearbox from the engine.

I am trying to remove a 98 k11 1.3 gearbox , but am struggling to split it from the engine.

I have as far as I can tell removed all the bolts holding the two together, that is from memory - the rear gearbox mounting plate, the front gearbox mounting plate, starter motor, two bolts on the top of the gearbox and both the stay bars. Despite this I am still struggling to split the two.

The engine is supported under the sump(the long steel pressing under the gearbox that supports the rear mount is still in place) and the gearbox supported under the drain plug. I have removed the left hand drive shaft, but the right drive shaft is still in place as I have read in here that is not required to remove it. I am assuming that it will just fall out as I pull the gearbox to the left, but I still wonder if it will be easy to replace it as I re-install the gearbox?

I am seeing a small gap between the two varying between 2-8mm at the front / top as I jiggle / lever the whole combo, but cannot seem to get it permanent or larger, or indeed anywhere else around the circumference of the join(given it is difficult to get a decent line of vision). Am I missing something and where do I go next?

I have looked the info on here and of course Haynes, but as his is my first attempt at removing a box, a silly mistake is quite possible even likely so advice is most welcome.

Thank you

the 2 locating dowels tend to rust solid, and there are only 4 bolts that actually hold the engine and g/box together (and the 2 lower braces)

Thank you, It did seem there were only few bolts holding it all together, so I am glad you confirm this Frank. I think I can see one dowel (it was getting dark) at approx 10 oclock, where is the second?

If you can see the dowels, try spraying a ton of penetrating spray into them and pushing the box back and off a couple of times. This should get in and free up the rust a bit :). Never actually done it but as an ex-Land Rover series 3 owner, I swear by penetrating spray :p.

have you took off the gear linkage? also try jacking the engine up above the centre member unless you have removed this already as sometime it could get caught on there. if this is done put some muscle into it. LOL (Y)

Its off! There is a bolt just above the starter motor and I missed it! Any way now its out of the engine compartment, I need to address the original problem- a noisey gearbox, gears 1 through to 4, 5th is much better. Seaching on here the problem appears to be the input shaft bearings. Not having a pic or diagram I am not sure what this means as I only have any knowledge of motorbike gearbox's. I presume car box's have three shafts and the intermediate (input)shaft is missed out in 5th?. When I turn the protruding shaft, it does not feel as bad as it sounds, so I assume my assumtions are correct. My next question is can I easily spot the faulty bearings, get at them and replace them as I only come accross a box at a sensible price in Shrewsbury 115 miles from me in S Wales. If there is one out there closer that would be better. I also have some concern that the box has already been apart once as there is orange gasket cement around the casing joint that is orange, is that standard?

Frank

Thank you for your input, I have noticed that you offer what you can on so mnay questions and your help is appreciated by all that recieve it.

So if its a 2 shaft box and ratio's 1-4 are noisey and 5 is quiet(er) can I assume that the shaft that is driven by the clutch takes the drive via the second (input) shaft for gears 1-4 and 5 is a direct drive bypassing the input shaft and therefore the noisey gears. As an aside, do any of the haynes manuals look at dismantling similar gearboxes for k10's Almera's or Primera's that would give some guidance on stripping a micra k11 1.3 gearbox. I will still probably fit a newer box but would love to find out what was failing to give the noise.

np :grinning: my k10 haynes has a g/box stripdown section, (RS5F41, which is just a scaled down RS5F30 1.3 one)
and the russian and polish pdf files have diags too iirc

I now have found a 1.3 gearbox......supposidly! As 1.0 a later gearbox is externally identical, how do I tell if I have the correct one. Is there a stamping or somthing else that positively identiies which box it is?

Thank you

Nigel

Back