Wipers not parking

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
I just bought my third Micra a 1998 1.3 GX this time, a little beauty with 30k genuine mile from new. I have an issue with the front wipers though, the flick wipe does not park when released, the intermittent tries to work but stops half way, the washers squirt and then wipes but doesn’t park, the normal speed wipers are fine but do not park. With all these problems sometimes they work and then just stop again.

So my first thought was the relay, as a new one is over £30 I went to the local scrappy and got one from a same year car. There was no change so I got another and still no change, this has got me thinking maybe its not the relay as what are the odds that all three relays display the same issues. If the relay was dead I would have though the wipers would not park at all but they do sometimes or try to.

I have read about the wiper amplifier next to the wiper motor but my car does not have this. Has anyone had this issue and have an answer? Is it a motor issue perhaps, is there another relay in the motor?

Cheers

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
I have looked at the linkage and it is all perfect, the motor is silent and working sweetly as well. when I take the relay out I loose the little intermittent wipers I have so maybe it is just the relay and I have been unlucky in getting two dead second hands ones. I checked with Nissan again for a new relay and now they want £40! ouch.

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
After three relays which were all the same I went to the scrappy and got another wiper motor for a tenner. That was what was wrong the wiper had stopped parking, I didn’t know the motor controlled that even. So the relays I got are fine and ended up with a brand new one too, oh well it had to be tried.

To change the wiper motor is easy.

First remove the wipers. Easy job first remove the plastic nut covers, these just pull off and using a 14mm spanner undo the nuts. They should be just lock tight and once made free undo by hand.

Next remove the screw next to the passenger wiper, also the plastic stud to the left of the drivers wiper though this will pop out when pulling bulkhead cowl cover free, just remember to catch it. Remove the weather seal strip from the front of the cowl using one of those stud removers or a screwdriver, they are not on tight. Theres quite a few stubs all along

Next you need to get the three studs below the windscreen out as you withdraw the cowl, these break easy and if you get a chance from the scrappy get some more. I used a stud removal tool and from the front (engine side of the cowl) I eased them free, again they are not tight but need gentle removal. Theres one (looking from the front) to the far right of the cowl, another about the third of the way along and a third between about half way between the two wiper fixings towards the drivers side (this is the one I broke) Once done remove the cowl.

Above the wiper is a small panel with three plastic screws, remove these but remember when putting back not to tighten then as they snap. I did that too. Using a screwdriver simple unclip the ball joint to the wiper motor, this isn’t a tight fit and pops off easy, so easy that when you re-fit it will pop back on with your fingers.

Lastly unplug the power from the motor and using either a 10mm spanner or socket remove the four bolts holding the motor.

The refit is easy, just put new motor in, reattached ball joint. Before putting everything else back just check all works fine and then put cover plate back (remembering not to over tighten), Refit the cowl making sure the clips next the windscreen clip into place. Add the weather strip and small screw, also remember the stud next to the driver’s wiper and lastly reattach the wipers themselves.

The whole job only took me a leisurely 30 minutes.

Back