Winter / Summer switch jammed on Winter setting

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I noticed that the Winter/Summer air switch is set to Winter, and I can't move it. The car didnt overheat in the summer, so I'm assuming it isnt too much of a problem, but would the car run faster if it could be un-jammed and set to Summer, due to cooler air going to the air filter?

This may sound daft but are you moving the right thing? I only say that because one i thought mine was jammed until i realised i was trying to move the lever the wrong way

Its for economey, in the summer youll do better MPG with it on summer, and winter you may experience carb icing if you dont have it where it should be :)

I think I was moving the right bit... the lever had direction arrows under it, to Summer and Winter, and if I moved it further towards Winter it looked like it would have popped off the edge of the mechanism completely (if this makes sense). Will have another look though. Tried moving it towards summer setting and it seemed to be seized up, but didnt want to force the lever in case I broke something! Is it just a case of using lots of WD40 and being persistent with it?

Might explain its lousy fuel economy (25-30mpg around town)

Thats not really helpfull bob. I have personal experience of carb icing on a K10 when driving to sunderland a few years ago. If it was truly not needed nissan would not have it.

Just get another one from the scrappies or indeed just don't use that winter thingy at all anymore :)

Although there is chance on icing the carb, I stopped using winter setting some years ago and never had a problem with it when driving in freezing conditions. (not much use for winter setting anymore for me since I drilled holes in the whole air-pan, just for sounds cause it won't really increase bhp)

the ECC system has a vacuum controled summer/winter flap alan, not computer controled.

Slim said:
the ECC system has a vacuum controled summer/winter flap alan, not computer controled.

Ok cheers Slim, but what i meant was it's done automatically ;)

Dunno if it's possible to just plug the vacuum hose and get one ('new' airpan) with a manual flap thingy. Guess it would be no problem.
Just have to check if the autmatic airpan doesn't have more vacuum hoses connected to it or something.

The airpan itself is butteasy to change :)

Arnold said:
Ok cheers Slim, but what i meant was it's done automatically ;)

Jee yeah I got worried then when you said it was computer controlled....

dont want my car going skitz when the great computer rebellion begins...

fwn

lewic said:
I noticed that the Winter/Summer air switch is set to Winter, and I can't move it. The car didnt overheat in the summer, so I'm assuming it isnt too much of a problem, but would the car run faster if it could be un-jammed and set to Summer, due to cooler air going to the air filter?

...On mine ( and I guess all manual ones) if you try to move the lever DIRECTLY towards the other setting it wont move....instead, you have to apply a little bit of pressure to the lever so that it moves outwards (away from the guide that it slides along) AND THEN it will freely move to the other setting.

Each end has a little notch so that the lever doesnt accidenlly move

heres an exaggerated picture of what I mean:

A bit like moving a gear selector between 2nd to 4th or 4th to second

Im not sure if the summer & winter is the right way around on my sketch though lol.

Any use or is it still definately stuck?

Attachments

• flap.jpg
    flap.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 248
air pan is different. has some wierd valves for it and also some temperature compensators

Hi Sammohung - thanks for your pic, that makes a lot of sense! I didnt realise there was a notch in the plate underneath the lever. Reckon that will probably solve the problem, as the mechanism didnt look rusty. Will take a look tonight.

what exactly is this winter/summer switch? ive only just bought a k10 but dont know were this switch is?

It's on the airfilter housing and can be located at the end of it, near the raditor, it controls the amount of air flow into the filter. So come the colder winter months it should ideally be set to winter. Through the hotter summer months it can be set to summer.

Thanks
Kev

in one position it takes air from the mouth of the air intake and in the other position it takes warmed air from around the exhaust maniflod collector plate

Back