Reversing light switch - where is it?

Just noticed the reversing light on my K11 isn't working. The bulb is OK, so I'm thinking it needs a new reversing light switch.

Two questions:

Is there a chance the car doesn't actually have a reversing light (despite having a bulb)? The Haynes manual is vague, but suggests that perhaps not all pre-1999 Micras had a light (mine's a very basic 1995 1.0L).

Assuming it has a light, where is the switch - and is it an easy job to replace? Haynes mentions draining gearbox oil first......

yer switch is on gearbox. if it isnt working then a quick and cheap fix is to wire a switch straight to the dash.

All cars have reverse lights, but the switch for it is in the gearbox. If they break, you've got a bit of a job on trying it fix it! Mine's broken, but i just live without it. Not required for the MOT either

Thanks guys. Sounds like a hassle changing the switch - but good to hear it's not an MoT requirement. I think I can live without one :grinning: !!!!!!!!!

untill you have to reverse and someone goes into the back of you and blames that you never had your reverse lights on!

but then it simply gets the "well i never knew it was off, i cant see the back of my car whilst im reversing"

untill you have to reverse and someone goes into the back of you and blames that you never had your reverse lights on!

but then it simply gets the "well i never knew it was off, i cant see the back of my car whilst im reversing"

Agreed. It also may be a sing of the gearbox mount becoming lose. well mine was then three days later the enginer fell out at 80mph!

Not fun!!!

Back