Will this steering wheel fit?

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey Pulsar heads..

Will this fit the spline on the micra?

Because the boss kits that you get for the micra also fit N14 and N15 micras, so there'd be a reasonable possibility that the steering wheels may fit. Well if the boss kits fit, then that means that the spline would be the same, but then you could have the problem of all the blinker actuator things and the spacing on the back of the wheel could be different. But anyway, I love this wheel and interested to know.

They say its off an N14 SSS, smaller than the normal N14 wheels though. It looks factory, but I also get the intention that it wasn't the standard one..

Attachments

• 19088.jpg
    19088.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 34

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Hey Cisco, From memory someone has already fitted one from a gtir.
I think there was a couple of different steering wheels because we had aussie spec and jap spec pulsars in Australia. Check out the gtir ones there even a bit nicer.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I always said that I thought the N14 steering wheels fit.. I'm certain I've seen pulsar steering wheels on micras before.

Ghetto found that they didnt and I think Akuma may have had trouble putting them on as well. I do believe they both tried putting on the jap made steering wheels (akuma, an update gtir and ghetto a jap made n14 sss steering wheel). So i dunno... be careful I guess.

BTW cisco that steering wheel is the same diameter as the normal pulsar steering wheels because it IS a normal pulsar steering wheel hehe. That steering wheel was found in the australian made Q and SSS models. Despite it being rubber its actually a nice steering wheel to use. Its nicer to drive with than some aftermarket steering wheels you buy from autobarn, etc.

cisco

» CMF Member
mighty, I'm personally not into the full on racing style of steering wheels for a couple of reasons. One: They are mostly rock hard (metal or timber covered in material) and that's a very bad thing if you have an accident. Hence why the factory ones are designed to crumble to collapse, they have collapsible supports in them specifically for making them as safe as possible when your head smashes into them.

I also love the factory refined feel. If I can get something sporty, safe and it says Nissan on it, I'm happy!

Hmm ok weird Yom. Thanks guys. Well the seller of this one said its smaller than the factory ones.. Does he maybe mean smaller than the factory non-SSS model wheels? That would make more sense.

I'll just buy it and give it a go. Also, I wonder if there may be possibilities of the guts behind the wheel being ported from the micra's steering wheel onto that one.. I'll have a play and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys.

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh, nah I'm not that tall mate.

Yo, won it on Ebay for $51. BARGAIN (If it fits). Its a real nice wheel.

Will let everyone know. Fingers crossed.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha you think you got a good deal - I bought one to use on the old pulsar (as I didnt have the original leather wrapped item) for a measly 6 pack of Crownies! From a low Km car too. it looked as new. :p

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
one problem I found with sourcing different steering wheels to suit the micra is that not only does the spline on the column need to be the same, but the indicator self cancelling nothches on the back of the wheel really need to be on the same side as the micra wheel or the self cancelling becomes too insensitive. The micra having its indicator stalk on the left of the column is the reason for this insensitivity when using a steering wheel from a car with the indicator stalk on the right of the column. Because of this issue, I have fitted a momo wheel to my car. This in itself was quite a mission. Firstly I bought a momo boss kit with the correct spline to suit the steering column, I only found one match. This new boss fitted the column but would not cancel the indicators or operate the horn, the solution I took was to remove the horn contact ring/self cancelling notch plate from the original super s wheel, fit the new momo boss in the lathe and machine the back of it out so that I could fit the ring from the original steering wheel to it. This has worked very well for the past 4 years but as I said it was a mission.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah cool micrat..

I'm prepared to do some machining or hacking to do anything I can to try to get this wheel to work. Fingers crossed. Yeah the indicator sounds like it will be an issue as they are on opposite sides, will have to suss it out. I will do anything to get this lovely wheel to fit!!!

A 6 pack for one of these wheels certainly is a bargain Yom.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi Tony,

The spline was a bit fiddly/tight to get on, but once that was on, the blinkers worked fine. It was the first boss kit that the blinkers worked properly on.

cisco

» CMF Member
Here's a photo of the steering wheel in the flesh.. Arrived today..

Well I put it on the car, then removed it again, for a couple of reasons:
- Its a fair bit heavier than the factory super s wheel.
- I just felt it took my car back badly to an older era. The NISSAN logo is squarer and older than the one on the Super S wheel.
- The horn contacts don't make contact, so there is no horn.
- The blinkers thing doesn't make contact, so the blinkers don't turn off.
- It sticks out a fair bit further than the factory super s wheel, so its pretty close to your face.. That annoyed me a bit too, I expected it to be further away from your head like the factory super s wheel.
- The top of it is all cracked/perished from the sun (the seller didn't mention this in the listing: he just said "excellent condition" - bad feedback for you buddy!)
- It stunk of sweat badly like a helmet at a Gokart hire place. But that was soon fixed, I sprayed the entire thing with So EASY protectant and brought it looking and smelling a helluva lot better very quickly. Actually, now it looks AWESOME. I think my photo is miles better than the guy's original photo above..

Apart from that, I reckon its a hot looking steering wheel. Just didn't workout or something.

Then you know what's funny. Then I put the factory super s wheel back on, took a long hard look at it and could better appreciate the styling of it and the era of the micra. Then it clicked like its own standard 3 spoke wheel really suits the micra, and now I love it and am going to keep it happily with everything working happily, it was made for the micra.

Bah!

So I'm going to throw this one back up on Ebay. I still do love this wheel, just entirely didn't fit/match/suit.

So there you have my honest review of this steering wheel and putting it on a micra.

Attachments

• 19277.jpg
    19277.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 29

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
haha thats a funny read.

i've been thinking of putting my original super S wheel back on.

The reason is because the SAAS one i have on the car has different contacts for the horn, and so i've been driving around for 3 years without a horn. And believe me there have been MANY times that i wished it worked.

Matty.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
I'm not sure of the condition of your Super S steering wheel,but if it is looking a bit ratty why don't you buy a new one from nissan,or look into getting it coloured/treated. There is alot of options these days for modernising interiors.

cisco

» CMF Member
My super s wheel is near perfect. I don't know why I was sick of it..

Just thought it wasn't all that sporty. But its kind of a modern version of the above pictured N13 steering wheel - you know, a bit more curvy etc. I love it now. Leaving it as is..

Back