Wider Tyres On Standard Steelies

Hi people,

I have a 2002 K11 Micra S with 14 inch standard steelies. These are 5j right?

Currently have the usual 165/60/R14 tyres all round but was thinking about changing to 185/55/14. What effects would this have on handling, acceleration and stance?
I'm finding it hard to figure out whether the tyres and wheels would poke out more from the wheel arch or not?

Would acceleration be affected a lot due to the wider tyres being heavier?

Can I put 5j rims on 185 tyres or would the grip not be good enough since the side walls are too much pointing inwards and what about handling?

I've checked on willtheyfit.com and it says the speedo error will only be 1% and ride height gain is 2.75mm and arch gap loss is 2.75mm. This make sense?

Sorry for all the questions but would be grateful if you could answer as many as possible!!
THANKS

Hi people,

I have a 2002 K11 Micra S with 14 inch standard steelies. These are 5j right?

Currently have the usual 165/60/R14 tyres all round but was thinking about changing to 185/55/14. What effects would this have on handling, acceleration and stance?
I'm finding it hard to figure out whether the tyres and wheels would poke out more from the wheel arch or not?

Would acceleration be affected a lot due to the wider tyres being heavier?

Can I put 5j rims on 185 tyres or would the grip not be good enough since the side walls are too much pointing inwards and what about handling?

I've checked on willtheyfit.com and it says the speedo error will only be 1% and ride height gain is 2.75mm and arch gap loss is 2.75mm. This make sense?

Sorry for all the questions but would be grateful if you could answer as many as possible!!
THANKS
In regards to handling, there will be a slightly higher sidewall, so you could possibly have more sidewall flex than before. Depending on the rubber compound and pressure obviously.

They're 20mm wider, so will be sticking out 10mm further from the wheel than what you have. I'd also say it's the absolute widest tyre you would want on a stock wheel, 165 or 175 would be more suited.

There will be a loss in acceleration, due to a bigger rolling radius, weight would make a difference too, as well as to braking (more weight = more momentum).

The car will sit higher off the ground and fill the arches slightly more, but you would barely notice it.

If I was you I would get better quality proper sized tyres, which is what I did.

In regards to handling, there will be a slightly higher sidewall, so you could possibly have more sidewall flex than before. Depending on the rubber compound and pressure obviously.

They're 20mm wider, so will be sticking out 10mm further from the wheel than what you have. I'd also say it's the absolute widest tyre you would want on a stock wheel, 165 or 175 would be more suited.

There will be a loss in acceleration, due to a bigger rolling radius, weight would make a difference too, as well as to braking (more weight = more momentum).

The car will sit higher off the ground and fill the arches slightly more, but you would barely notice it.

If I was you I would get better quality proper sized tyres, which is what I did.

Thank you very much for your advice mate, i see what you are saying. It's just when I look at the back of the car, I hate the way it looks like I have 'bicycle' tyres on because they are so thin, although I don't think having 175s as opposed to 165 will make much of a difference in terms of appearance. (It's only 10mm thicker)

And I really can't afford to lose performance, it's only a CG10DE in the first place!

So yeah I reckon I'll stick with the 165s and I have a good set on already, 2 continentals and 2 Yokohamas, picked em up for £15 each, a steal!

Although just want to check, the rolling radius of 165/60/14 is (165x0.6)+(7x25.4)=276.8mm, and for the 185/55/14, it is (185x0.55)+(7x25.4)=279.55mm. Surely an increase of 2.75mm in rolling radius can't really have a noticeable effect on acceleration and braking? Will the main contributing factor to the poorer acceleration and braking be the added weight of the wider tyres?

My stock wheels were 13-inchers but I agree whether 13 or 14 all the stock wheel/tyre combos do make the appearance of the car somewhat cartoon-ish. I have some 175/65/14's on some old Almera N15 steels that I sourced from ebay and re-furbed. They fill out the arches nicely without making the car appear too small for them in my opinion and although they don't seem to affect handling there is a (very minor) difference in ride comfort when navigating the local speed calming bumps (of which there are man here in Milton Keynes!)

Although just want to check, the rolling radius of 165/60/14 is (165x0.6)+(7x25.4)=276.8mm, and for the 185/55/14, it is (185x0.55)+(7x25.4)=279.55mm. Surely an increase of 2.75mm in rolling radius can't really have a noticeable effect on acceleration and braking? Will the main contributing factor to the poorer acceleration and braking be the added weight of the wider tyres?
You won't notice it. Crack on

Got a spare steelie on ATM running a 185/65/14 conti eco contact and its fine , was expecting to sell a difference but nothing and handles great
I am running the other 3 on the same tyres as well but on alloys and it handles really well
Its ran on alloys with those tyres for a year and I would not change them now to stock ,
Only thing against them is they are alot taller then the stock of does affect the acceration a tiny bit but compensates by increased traction but that's the only thing to say really

Got a spare steelie on ATM running a 185/65/14 conti eco contact and its fine , was expecting to sell a difference but nothing and handles great
I am running the other 3 on the same tyres as well but on alloys and it handles really well
Its ran on alloys with those tyres for a year and I would not change them now to stock ,
Only thing against them is they are alot taller then the stock of does affect the acceration a tiny bit but compensates by increased traction but that's the only thing to say really

Yeah I went for 185/55 in the end so roughly same ride height as before, and yeah the traction is better, especially in the rain!

Back