What Tyres on Standard Rims

CMF_tonydav

» CMF Member
The existing tyres on my Micra are now totally shot so I'm looking at replacing them, and ideally upgrading them.

Before anyone suggests 14"/15" rims I'm not looking at spending a lot - this is my "run-about" and as it's got hail damage the car isn't really worth a lot anyway.

What is a good option for upgrading, in terms of price and what fits? Guy from Jax told me that a 175/60 would be lucky to fit and cost over $100/tyre!

tony

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I've been going to jaxx for ...years and have had 165x60 and 185x60 (i think) and never paid more than $65.00 but they were cheap asian imports....Maybe the combination of loyal custom and el-cheapo crossed in there....also they just did my a pretty good deal on some 15" and tyres.

also.....

just did 730km on a tank, no fuel light and had 6 litres left in the tank on refill...... thats 54.7 mpg... very happy with that, why buy a diesel?

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
if you want to upgrade your tyres. never get cheap or budget tyres. get proper well known performance brands. they will be expensive but there is no other way of upgrading. getting wider tyres wont give you any extra grip if they are cheap compounds in the tyre. so to up grade you can get the best tyres for your existing size or get good sport brand in 185/55/13 which will give high traction and keep speedo/gearing accurate to standard.

CMF_tonydav

» CMF Member
I was looking at either 175/60 or 185/55 as both give a very minor difference on the speedo.

Will these both fit? The guy at Jax (Windsor) seemed to have doubts.

Interestingly I'd seen some cheepie 14" wheel and tyre packages that weren't that expensive.

tony

CMF_tonydav

» CMF Member
Well I think I answered my own question: Super S had same size 13x5 rims and was shod with 175/60 so obviously they fit.

Having said that, I've rung about 4 tyre places and none of them can get 175/60 or 185/55 on a 13" rim.

I really don't want to have to put those pissy little 155/70 tyres back on but looks like it's that or new wheels as well :(

tony

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ive got 165/70's on my wheels. I had wider tyres before on it, but it was hell to steer without power steering, and used a bit more fuel. I went with something a little more stock because i was after good economy AND a decent tyre. You really dont wanna drive around with skinny bike tyres :)

Also, the grip is awesome with these tyres compared to the old ones. I guess its the better compound!

1 last thing, if you go too wide or too big, and think "YEH! i can grip like a master now!" and attempt a corner at high speed thinking your invincible, your tyre will slip off, and leave you in tears and your car in wheel + drivetrain in peices.

And thats my 2 cents.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Another thing you can do.. I got some cheap ($30 for 2) wheel spacers from my auto shop. They dont make much difference in performance, but they give the car a subtle wheel extension. Theyre only about .5-1cm so i didnt have to extend the studs which is $$$.

Those 165/70's can be found almost everywhere for under $60 a tyre too :O
Check out my Australia Day post or click my name to check em out.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Falken also have a tire in the 175/60 R13 size... Last time I bought tyres these and the Yokohama A539 were around $120-30 each.

I have used both the Falken & Yokohama and I will be sticking with the yokohama A539... these are a fantastic tyre especially in the wet (but obviously more expensive than what you are looking for).

I seem to remember there were three options, the tyre shop had Falken,Yokohama and Nankang ??. The Nankang were a budget tyre and around $90 each

I am afraid 175/60R13 is an unusual size so none of them are cheap.

Back