Upgraded Tyres

My front tyres are both getting close to legal limit, so need to change.

Thinking of upgrading to a more grippier set than just budget tyres, has anyone got any recommendations?

I am on the stock 14 inch 5j steels on a set of 165/60/r14's.

I have read about Toyo Proxes T1R but they don't make these in 14 inch.

I have read about Nankang NS2R and Toyo Proxes CF1/CF2 but these are in 185/55/R14. The wider size would be ideal for extra grip but would these be unsuitable for my 5j stock steels due to too much sidewall flex? (I currently have 185/55/r14 on the rear but the rears don't do any turning hence they've been fine).

(I am not bothered about the extra weight of a wider tyre as I once weighed a 165/60/r14 and a 185/55/r14 (both on stock steels) and the difference was only 1.5kg.)

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
edit - have pretty much made up my mind with Toyo CF2's.
Just unsure on whether I should go for:
165/60/14 - lighter, and lower to the ground, less sidewall flex, but less contact area
185/55/14 - heavier, 6mm higher off the ground, more sidewall flex, but greater contact area

Opinions?

I'm running 185/60/14 on both a set of stock steelies and some wider alloys, tbh there's flex and taller walls ,but the car grips and corners well (it holds the back roads at "legal" speeds very well wet or dry) on conti eco contact 5 tyres , with even wear ,good and tight ride/handling,
So I'd say 185/55/14 , looks abit better and do sit well on stock wheels,
It depends what your using it for, cause stock size or budget are normally decent enough for more use,
For me, I do motorway, curvy, ruff, tight back roads ect so good ride, grip and life tyres ,hense my choice /why I have kept to it

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I'm running 185/60/14 on both a set of stock steelies and some wider alloys, tbh there's flex and taller walls ,but the car grips and corners well (it holds the back roads at "legal" speeds very well wet or dry) on conti eco contact 5 tyres , with even wear ,good and tight ride/handling,
So I'd say 185/55/14 , looks abit better and do sit well on stock wheels,
It depends what your using it for, cause stock size or budget are normally decent enough for more use,
For me, I do motorway, curvy, ruff, tight back roads ect so good ride, grip and life tyres ,hense my choice /why I have kept to it

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Thanks for the reply, sounds promising for the 185/55/14's then.

Aren't stock rims 5.5" wide ? I ran CF1's on 6" rims, I liked them, now on these which I think are probably better https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-185-55-r14-80-h#274240802

I'd go 175/60 on standard steel rims, or 155 for snow tyres.

Checked mine and they're 14x5j.
I did try to find some 175 toyo CF2's, but they only come in 175/65/14, which will be too large. Unfortunately, they don't come in 175/60 or 175/55.

Will look into the goodyear ones, thanks!

Nankang is Chinese. Bought those but in full v-profile. I don't recommend those. Look for tyre reviews from renowned sources. Don't go with user reviews, they relate their ratings to their experience with the tyres they got before, doesn't help you. Keep going with your questions. You are a racer, I know.

Nankang is Chinese. Bought those but in full v-profile. I don't recommend those. Look for tyre reviews from renowned sources. Don't go with user reviews, they relate their ratings to their experience with the tyres they got before, doesn't help you. Keep going with your questions. You are a racer, I know.

The Motoring Which Magazine does annual independent quality control formal laboratory testing of vehicle tyres performance characteristics tabulated results comparison tables & prices.

That is real independent testing of actual performances while disregarding the manufactures marketing & advertisers miss information BS claims. (y)

I ended up going for Toyo Proxes CF2 165/60/R14.

I think the advantages of having a lighter wheel, less sidewall flex, and being 6mm lower to the ground, outweighs the disadvantage of a smaller contact area when compared with 185/55/R14's, and also I don't have to worry about rolling radius changes and speedo errors (although with 185/55/R14, the speedo error would only have been 0.9%).

The Goodyear efficientgrips were the better tyre imo, so thanks for 1275 for suggesting them, but they were out of budget with the best price I could find being £100 for a pair, whereas I got the Proxes for £60 a pair.

Appreciate all the advice people.

Last edited:
The Motoring Which Magazine does annual independent quality control formal laboratory testing of vehicle tyres performance characteristics tabulated results comparison tables & prices.

That is real independent testing of actual performances while disregarding the manufactures marketing & advertisers miss information BS claims. (y)

Oh good to hear, I wasn't able to find such a source on my own. The tyre I'm speaking about is a Nankang NS-2 205/50/17. First and last tye in my life to sell with 7+ millimeters of profile.

I'm aware I am topic hijacking (sorry Ihtisham) but I have insufficient rights to send you a personal message :s I have a question. You mentioned Motoring Which for tyre reviews, I'm at https://search.which.co.uk/search?w=tyre and can not find. I'm not from the UK so maybe it is that. Do you have a link for me?