Which way to face rear speakers

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Yeah, I'm probably gonna get some rear 6x9's for my K11, and I've been thinking:

For optimum sound etc, which way would be best to face them if they were placed on the parcel shelf? Towards the driver? Towards the rear windscreen, to the side? Up to the ceiling, or at an angle towards the top of the windscreen or something?

I know I should just get some 6x9's, and a friend to help me, but I was wondering if anyone has experimented with this before, and if they got any positive results.

The main thing is as well, I don't wanna mount them directly into the parcel shelf, and would rather make enclosures and bolt them onto the parcel shelf.

And where would I get bullet connectors to wire it up to the ISO harness?

I heard that, even though some k11s didnt come with standard rear speakers, you can find the wiring for the rear speakers in the drivers side part of the boot.

So you shouldnt need bullet connectors.

i wudnt put 6x9s directly in the parsel shelf if you have a subwoofer because they just get canced out by the bass unless they are mega powerful and ampt. also you can buy minni boxes for the 6x9s alowing you to move them around to sute your style

You may need to rebalance your subs if you can. Mine has dials on that let me adjust things and the lower i put them the clearer the sound from the speakers and vice versa.

In reply to your first question, i had a set of 6x9's facing me in the parcel shelf, then put the exact same ones in a reinforced parcel shelf, spaced further apart and facing sideways and seemed to notice a better qaulity. I have the equilibrium set so only the rear speakers work anyway and get some good sounds.

Nothing will cancel anything out, if i remember right, with correct use of crossovers which all amps should have (including active subs).

Let the sub work the lows and the 6x9s work the mid and highs.

@capnmchl
So if you decide to get a sub you've got nothing to worry about.

Damn you bass, you foul mistress. I have to lug a drum kit round, so unless I make everything modular, I can't really put a sub in. And I can't think of any off the shelf connectors that can handle that power well. Maybe the Molex ones for PC's and that's about it.

The wiring might be there, but it's not connected to my wiring harness up front, so I'd still need the bullets to plug it all in properly. Unless I just solder it all in.

The reason I don't want to put the 6x9's in the parcel shelf is, dun dun dahhhhh, it'll sound crap! I dunno what that parcel shelf is made of (probably hardboard, eughhh) but any speakers resting in it will sound awful, and I don't know why people do it anyway.

So therefore, I'm willing to make my own 6x9 enclosures out of carpeted something (probably MDF, only £5 for a 6mm sheet), and make it modular with plugs, so I can take the parcel shelf out if needed.

But I dunno which way to face them. Probably towards the front of the car. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Nothing will cancel anything out, if i remember right, with correct use of crossovers which all amps should have (including active subs).

Let the sub work the lows and the 6x9s work the mid and highs.

@capnmchl
So if you decide to get a sub you've got nothing to worry about.

yea fare enough in theory, but sat at the front of the car with a decent sub and amp not some crap JBL or sub zero (XPLX) it just drowns it, waste of time and money. the best set up for a micra is x2 6" speakers in each door (you will need to do fibreglass work) there for you get the bass behind you and mid nd highs in the front. also with subs its best to decide the size to the music you listen to 10" dance and the likes usually fast bass. 12" is around medium speed bass, rock music like that and 15" for rap very slow and spaced bass tones. but most people just got for the 12" as its a happy medium and they just listen to what the moron tell them at hal-frawds

I don't see this going anywhere at the moment.

Cap you know those rear side pockets in your car?
I think you should mod your enclosures to fit, mdf is your best bet.

I don't see this going anywhere at the moment.

Cap you know those rear side pockets in your car?
I think you should mod your enclosures to fit, mdf is your best bet.

Could work.

Would be uncomfortable for people sitting in the back though if the speakers were angled, and if you had them sitting so they faced across the seats, the sound would just sorta die. It's a possibility though.

At the moment, I'm thinking 6x9's in boxes, sat on the parcel shelf, with some sort of connector plug so I can take the parcel shelf with the speakers out.

But if they were on the parcel shelf, which way to face them! I don't think straight ahead would do the sound much good. I'm thinking if they point at where the ceiling meets the windscreen, that'll give the best sound range.

if you choose my idea all you'd need to do is wire one of the speaker's terminals as opposites to put it out of phase, which is what you want when facing speakers together.

I'd go for my idea because this gives you options for your parcel shelf.
And also means you can...Grab a parcel shelf from a micra which came with speakers, so you don't have to cut up your current one, and replace them holes with some good ol components or somthing.

Hmm. I took out one of the rear side panels, to see what I could do with the small compartment. You could just about fit a 6x9 in there, and it's 120mm deep.

But it would mean do a lot of fabrication with MDF, which I can do, but I don't have an orbital or belt sander to help me, so I'm gonna be spending many hours sat down with some sandpaper.

Oh well, I might be buying a PS3 this month anyway, so that'll use most of my money, but if not, I'll probably buy some speakers.

Wanna go hit up the scrapyards around here sometime?

Hmm. I took out one of the rear side panels, to see what I could do with the small compartment. You could just about fit a 6x9 in there, and it's 120mm deep.

But it would mean do a lot of fabrication with MDF, which I can do, but I don't have an orbital or belt sander to help me, so I'm gonna be spending many hours sat down with some sandpaper.

Oh well, I might be buying a PS3 this month anyway, so that'll use most of my money, but if not, I'll probably buy some speakers.

Wanna go hit up the scrapyards around here sometime?

scrapyards?

would love to (Y)

i made some pockets from fibreglass and trimmed them, and also put some in rear seat and shelf (amped)

Attachments

• micret.JPG
    micret.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 282
That looks cool man. Good upholstering work!

I have deep recessed pockets in my back door trim, so I'm thinking of putting then in there, but I'd need to do some fabrication to get a nice clean finish.

i just cut the 6x9 shape outta mdf, attached to grey plastic rear quarter panel, stretched material over, resinned it, couple of layers of fibreglass, them put thick fleece blue material over it. they were a quick job but the look ok, could do with a retrim though. might sell them when the micra has had it (which will be soon)

Is your's a three door?

I might be interested in those back panels if you do break it, and if you live a reasonable distance away.

i have a sub, and 6x9's in the parcel shelf. the sub has its own amp. nothing cancels anything out. just gotta play around with the settings on the headunit but in my opinion, mine sounds really good with my set up - see my blog.

Back