which h.i.d's?

taylor89

Club Member (Trial)
as the title, im getting some hids as a present but need to know what kit i need? is it a h4 hi/low kit? cheers for any help

yes it would be. h4 high/low
hope you know its illegal to have them unless you have adjustable headlights from the cabin. HIDs aren't something you can hide. :blues:

sweet,,, pollyp's got some expertize in that department,,,,,when your ready though
hid's lights are bright

Auto Bulbs Direct H4 ice blue... thats what u need good price white look and very good !

HID are illegal for k10s cuz it splatters light all over the place and fail mot.

Auto Bulbs Direct H4 ice blue... thats what u need good price white look and very good !

HID are illegal for k10s cuz it splatters light all over the place and fail mot.

any link to these mate? anyone on here running hids? tbh probably dont need them, but do a helluva lot of driving at night (mainly country roads) so would just like brighter lights. so any more recomendations? cheers

copied from COV,s post on AOC :wasntme:
Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

Full details on the MOTester site

copied from COV,s post on AOC :wasntme:
Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

Full details on the MOTester site

I heard about this too frank. It will be interesting to see how they go about checking the ecu. It will be interesting what happens in regards to remaps. I think it is more about those stupid egay resistors people put on that add a million horsepower. lol. Though over here it will probably take another 5 years before they are enforced. :laugh: They are also meant to be bringing to bring back the diesel smoke test and something about cats. Dunno if you have the smoke test over there but the Moters over here kept blowing peoples engines up so must have worked out how not to lol.

sorry for the continued thread jack. It also states this:
7.1.5. Airbag:
(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.
this could make aftermarket steering wheels illegal. :(

sorry for the continued thread jack. It also states this:
7.1.5. Airbag:
(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.
this could make aftermarket steering wheels illegal. :(

Oh dear... lol i don't have one :wasntme:

Are airbags a legal requirement on new cars then?

As for HID the law as I understand requires E approved bulbs, headlight washers and headlight levellers. Cars with self-levelling suspension are also covered. So that's the Range Rover that's ok at least.

I fitted HID to my K12 and whilst it's a bit brighter the high beam is useless unless I turn the leveller right down, the bulb seems to go too far and ruins the beam pattern. Somehting to do with the Micra headlights though as the bulbs work fine in standard headlights.

I also suspect that whilst it's imeadiately obvious that the K12 has HIDs in it, at least to those familiar with Nissans, older cars with prismic lenses will be much much harder to detect.

i cant see the chipped ecu check being true they've no way of easily checking, even if they check through the OBD port most car have these plugs hidden under trim which, i though mot'ers arent allowed to remove anything. also the car industry would loose alot of money.

sounds to me like its someone thats anti car modding as there the classic modded motor additions. hids, chips and airbag lights i bet those three items hit such a large proportion of modders it's just too perfect
think ill believe it when i see it in black & white:suspect:

for hids to be considered legal think they have to have projection headlights with washers and automatic leveling,

Back