wheel widths, what size can i go

CMF_xero

» CMF Member
dammit i knew i should have taken a photo with the sportmaxx wheels on my car..

in all honesty anything bigger than 14x7 +15 is going to scrub. ive rolled and pumped my guards and added about 10mm. i recently fitted a 15x8 +15 wheel on there to see the fitment and they stuck out by about an 25mm (or 1").
so yeah i think it will scrub a fair bit with some deep dish wheels..

CMF_RoadsterGarage

» CMF Member
xero WROTE:

"dammit i knew i should have taken a photo with the sportmaxx wheels on my car..<BR><BR><BR>in all honesty anything bigger than 14x7 +15 is going to scrub. ive rolled and pumped my guards and added about 10mm. i recently fitted a 15x8 +15 wheel on there to see the fitment and they stuck out by about an 25mm (or 1").<BR>so yeah i think it will scrub a fair bit with some deep dish wheels..

and here i am wanting to fit my 513's on the micra lol.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
WO6G WROTE:

"Mmm how adjustable are the K11's with aligments? I.e camber settings?

Depends if you have camber tops, camber bolts or enlarged strut holes. Your options depending on what you have are going to be somewhere between nothing at all and "a whole lot". It all depends on what you have installed. From factory, I'd say unless you start modifying things, I'd say not a hell of a lot.

---dens

CMF_RoadsterGarage

» CMF Member
Yes i ment from factory. With the MX5's you can pull upto -2.5 camber if need be, they are very adjustable from standard which is great.

All i have on my K11 are G4 coilovers, i'm not 100% sure if they have camber tops though, they do appear to do so iirc.

CMF_Gay_Rob

» CMF Member
I'm rollin' on 20 inches just now baby

Attachments

• 50148.jpg
    50148.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 23

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
I agree with xero...i think a 14x7 +15 would be about inline with the arches (or at least be very close), though a stretched tyre would help. I say think as its been awhile since i checked...however i do know my 14x7 -15's stick out a bit lol, but then ive made allowances :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
So, you using overfenders then, solarice? I noticed someone was making some knockoffs of the FRP ones in the UK ;) What are the wheels you've got? I was beginning to worry that people up your way didn't know what offset was! :p Seen too many K11's with flares with +40 wheels on them *shudder*

---dens

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"So, you using overfenders then, solarice? I noticed someone was making some knockoffs of the FRP ones in the UK ;) What are the wheels you've got? I was beginning to worry that people up your way didn't know what offset was! :p Seen too many K11's with flares with +40 wheels on them *shudder*

---dens

lol, yeah i had my arch set imported a good while ago now...way before the copies started appearing (not me making the copies btw)...Its got SSR MKII's on, theyre a zero so i needed a 15mm spacer up front and a 20mm on the rears) i got the wheels for a very good price so a compromise is worth it :)

Dont wanna detract from the original purpose of this thread (seeing as its about stock arches), but pic included below...only one ive got with the rears spaced at the moment (cars height has been tinkered a little since then)...if you get Banzai Magazine over there, it appeared in Novembers issue.

Attachments

• 50187.jpg
    50187.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 26

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Ahh yeah! haha god I completely didn't put two and two together with your nick/the car. I'm now remembering early pictures of the arches and whatnot in primer back when it was getting done. Awesome to see how it looks now.

I'm not a fan of spacers and they're out of the question for the car they'll be on as it'll be tracked, but I know the difficulties of finding offsets even like what you've got there. Seeing how that width/offset helps me know what combo gives that kind of fitment 7J -15/20 will give.

I do have the same flares, but in all honesty I'd rather have a white Micra to put them on - yours is almost the perfect model of what I wish my car was (I love the MK2's). I've had the flares for almost a year and a half and still haven't found a set of wheels I'm 100% happy with getting.

I've often considered just setting the flares aside and getting more sets of wheels that fit standard guards and worry about the flares when I've got a white K11.. ;) Looking good mate.

Sorry for the OT, OP ;)

---dens

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
lol, yeah thats me (all my build pics are on the MSC) :)

Yeah i went the other way...fitted the arches then figured i better get something to fill them lol. Its worth noting you pretty much have to chop up the front and rear arches to get the extensions where they should be. How much depends how low youre going. :)

Tbh i wasnt happy about using spacers but they're hubcentric and ive got longer studs so i think they'll be ok...even if it was to be used on track.

If you could id recommend getting an 8j to suit the rear arches...ive still got space to go wider on the back (probs a couple of cm's) if i wanted to. Though the front width/offset for full lock is probs the most you can go, cos i get srubbage on full lock at the minute, not that i use full lock that much anyways. :D

Just gotta finish getting the Supercharger fully mapped (as its quite rich most of the time) and it'll be done.

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
tbh ndxxx...as youve said its hard to find wheels in the size youre after... Id search yahoo auctions etc to find cheap second hand stuff, as new stuff is normally expensive. only prob is most that you'll normally find will be in the wrong pcd (been there), so it takes time.

You will find others, other than SSR's...depends on your budget. :)

CMF_chargeR

» CMF Member
As solarice says Yahoo Auctions is a good place to look but the overwhelming majority of small diameter SSRs are 4x114.3. With this in mind most of the Japanese sellers seem to bump up their prices 200% for 4x100 wheels due to their rarity. There are always plenty of micra fitment SSRs in 14" and some in 13" on Yahoo auctions you just have to pay a premium. You will have to bid against me too :).

I recently bought a set from UpGarage so check there too.

CMF_chargeR

» CMF Member
All these sites are in Japanese and you will have to use your friendly neighborhood parts importer to get the stuff here. Try using the Google toolbar or something similar to translate. Here is the link to Yahoo Auctions wheels with tyres:

http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084200183-category.html

Wheels without tyres:

http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084005140-category.html

Upgarage wheels:

http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/st...&gyotai_cd=001&web_bunrui=01_20_01_01&msidx=1

Happy hunting :).

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
Just to say i found mine on a March Tuning Companies site (Aspect Racing) as ex-display when they were having a clearout...so i was lucky...funnily enough i found them just as i'd decided to give up looking. :)

Another option is of course to buy hub adapters that'll change the pcd from 4x100 to 4x114.3 as they act as spacers i dunno how you'd fancy it or if it would end up any cheaper or easier.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:

"SO 13X7 should be ok

As per almost every post in this thread - it ultimately depends on what offset the wheel is. Chances are that most 7J, 4x100 wheels you find here will have have an offset that will keep it well within the guards. That said, you don't find many 13x7, 4x100 wheels around (most will be 13x5.5 or 13x6) so I'd be doing a test fit of them to make sure they'll fit before purchasing.

Also the problem you might find with 13" wheels is that depending on the design, you may not be able to fit larger brakes. I was able to fit 13" steelies over AD18V calipers but they wouldn't rotate as it was that tight a fit.

solarice: Yeah if I went with spacers, there's little-to-no reason to go with 4x100 wheels as hub adapters to 4x114.3 are just as easy and give you almost infinitely more wheel options. I've seen what happens when wheels studs shear mid-corner on the track and the wheels go flying and that's a pretty convincing "don't use wheel spacers" argument for me.

Half the reason I was hesitant about the flares is that to do it right - I'd want to chop the inner arches (as it's completely pointless otherwise) and that's a pretty big commitment and very much a no-turning-back thing (at least, for the rear arches). That and they're fibreglass, so not quite as resistant to wheel scrubbage as sheet metal is.

We'll see how things go - I'm in the exact same situation as you were but i've been at the point where I'm fed up looking for the perfect offset wheels for flares for now, will keep them in storage and just find my perfect set of lightweight wheels in 14x7 +15 for the track car.

---dens

Back