tyre size?

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
the alloys i have just got have very chunky tyres they are R14 195/60 they fit but the biiiig profile makes the car look like a buggy, so was wondering what is the lowest profile i can legaly go on a 14"rim??

cheers

Prob more of a case of what choice you have. If you go on this site you can compare tyre sizes http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Then have a look what you can get on etyres or similar. Tis what i was doing the other day, as i have lots of wheels, but not many with tread, and am trying to decide which to put new rubber on like.

Only problem is choice with 14s nowadays, everything is 15" or above.

the k11 micra have 165/60/14 fitted as standard, this will most likely be the best fitment for a K10 as well

Hmmm i wouldnt say that 60 profile size is suited to the k10 they only just fit, hmm dont know what to do, i like the alloys but i liked it when the car was VERY low,

Daveeeeee,

As far as i am aware you can legally go for any tyre size you wish as long as the tread is covered by the arch, however fitting the wrong profile tyres can make your speedo inaccurate.

What is the width of your alloy?

Mike

the width of the alloy is 185 i think, i thought that you have to have a tyre that can handle the same amount of load as the standerd tyre set up.

That would be the tyre measurement?

Usually the width is stamped on the inside face of the alloy, like '5J'

This post didn't make sense because i quoted the wrong person, so here goes!!

Hmmm i wouldnt say that 60 profile size is suited to the k10 they only just fit

Remember that 165/65/14, the bold figure is just a % of the width, 155, 165, etc. Saying 60 is too big, is a bit silly cos it could be 60 of 145 or 195, two totally different sizes, and again the size of the alloy would make a big difference.

There's no legal situation on fitting incorrect profile tyres, they will just fall off the rim and you'l crash. If your unsure, go to a garage that fits tyres and ask them what your options are

The example '5J' is the width of the 14" sport+ alloys i have and the tyres are 185/55 if that helps.

The profile number (The one Arnold Bolded) is the percentage of the tyre width.

It's all about rolling radius and all that jazz.

If it's any help, I was only allowed a minimum profile of 60% on my K10.
(13" Rims!)

right, i've cleaned up the confusion that was here previously. Daveeeee, soon as you tell us the width of your alloy which im guessing is 6J we can help you find the tyre that you desire.

I will stress again it will throw your speedo really inaccurate if you do decide to go massively out of the manufactures oem rolling radius.

I would say 185/55/14s good compromise, as i didnt want to smaller profile and wreck my rims in the first pothole!

yer same as mine and i'm running 185/55/14s Toyo CF1s £190 set fitted.

And they don't look too chunky:
WithCentrecaps.jpg

Back