wheel spacers

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
how on here has used spacers for there wheels?? i have just aquired a pair of 5mm ones.

anyone one here used 5mm's? or should i go 10mm? i just want my standard rear wheels to look wider lol. i did read on here that people advise not to use 10mm ones??? so would be be safe to use 10mm's??

They probably don't advise using them as there'l be extra strain on the studs? You could always get longer studs. I need to do this on my Glanza and am told to get 10mm spacers.

ive run 10 mm spacers on my 10 for ages, no trouble hovever the nuts were only on a few threads and i would advise longer studs.

I've got 10mm spacers here for the back wheels aswell,but i cba with the hassle of putting longer studs on the back. Probs can get longer studs at my work through Greyston but again,more hassle

ive got 10mm spacers on the front and 5mm on the back, its all good however i could do with longer studs on the front as theres not much thread.

Guys you really should be making sure that there is 1.5x the thread diameter, to be super safe, so 18mm of useable thread. Probably a bit OTT but I wouldn't drive on less than the stud diameter.

As for spacers putting extra strain on the studs, thats nonsence, if the studs have the correct ammount of thead in the nuts they are just as safe, it is the friction produced by doing the nuts up betwen the wheel and the mounting surface that keeps the wheel in place. Check out my blog, fitting longer studs is not hard, though I did need to relieve the back of my drums and discs slightly to clear the longer splined section of the non oem spec studs.

MPH sell the correct longer studs. I sourced mine from I think Performance car parts e-bay store, check down through the mechanical servicing and modifications section and you'll find a thread with the link.

There can be problems with centering the wheel when using spacers because it mounts the wheel out past the hub spigot, but this is lessened by the fact that we use tapered nuts so these center the wheel instead of the spigot.

I'm currently rolling with no center location on the wolfies. There is a little wobble over 70. I'm going to turn up some spigot rings when I get time.

You can also get hub centric spacers which have the correct bore for the hub on the rear, and the correct spigot diameter for the wheel on the front so that they keep the wheel centered.

Problem is, the studs only support the wheel from moving out of the wheel arch, holding it to the hub. The spigot is what takes the majority of the weight on the car. Bear in mind how much a car weighs with 3 or 4 people in it, and some luggage, and you don't really wanna be putting that pressure on the studs, even though you're spreading it between 16 of them...

well at the moment im looking at fitting 15mm and 20mm spacers :D ...though it may become 10mm and 15mm as ive yet to totally decide. However either way i'll be using longer studs and hub centric spacers. :)

5mm on stock brakes should give you some hub lip left over...with sunny brakes fitted, the brake disc is fatter so a 5mm spacer would probs leave you without any lip to support the wheel...actually ignore that cos ive just noticed youre fitting them on the back lol...in that case yeah you'll be fine with 5mm's theres about 12mm of hub lip iirc.

Remember that using spacers also has the same downsides to wheels outside of correct offset, and that is they put additional strain and wear on your wheel bearings.

Back