wheel questions?

Simonh

Midlands Rep
so yeh i fitted my almera gti alloys today and they look amazing :D
first thing on the way back from my mates after fitting them my steering felt completely different and i hear scraping on the back wheels. the tyres are 195/45.15 so there is loads of clearance. bear in mind i had the 4 steels in the back at this time though. i went to get some petrol wen i got home and took the wheels out and it seemed fine then with no scraping noise. maybe just the weight of the 4 wheels on the back seats.

secondly one of the nuts like cross threaded so we couldnt really get it on right. im buying locking wheel nuts anyway but for now my friend just put one of the standard steel nuts back on. it should be ok on 3 tight alloy nuts and one steel nut until tommorow when i buy locking nuts.

also we did them by hand so is it good to go to a garage and get them redone with a power tool and get them balanced? also how much would this cost. thank you pics will be in my blog tommorow

balancing is done when the tyre goes on the wheel not the wheel onto the car, by hand is fine as long as they are tight, if they are done by a garage and you get a puncture you won't be able to get the ####er off!

How 'different' is the steering, it will be harder at low speeds etc.

You should be fine with that steel nut (although i wouldnt want to second guess as a matter of safety), did that one screw on fine after you crossed the alloy one then?

Back