What's a good headunit available at the moment?

What can you recommend?

I'd need it to have USB (front or back, not fussed) and dunno if it's worth looking at bluetooth models or not (for connecting mobile phone).

Also, where'd be the best (and by that I mean cheapest :D ) place to buy online?

I have an Alpine CDE-111R (off top of my head). It has a USB socket on front, and an aux input on back to which I attached an iPhone cable, so my phone can sit in my dash, charging and supplying my music. It also supports MP3 CDs.

Very good head unit, even as it is low in the Alpine range it's still better than many other manufacturer's units.

I'd need one that i can connect to my htc android phone; i couldn't find any information about the alpine headunit mentioned above ˄ so anyone else got any suggestions? (thanks for the input funkydoodycool btw (Y))

You can't go wrong with Alpines ! I will never thank enough the previous owner who left it in the 1.3 when I bought it... Price is 250 300euros... Bluetooth, Ipod, USB, RCA, everything is compatible. Thank you again! :p

DEX-p99rs

You're joking, right? Oh, if only I could spend that much on a headunit :wow:

You can't go wrong with Alpines !
I dunno about the looks of the apline units, although I can't argue with you that they do make damn good products (Y)

(that second comment is directed at Seb, don't know why it didn't show the details properly)

You're joking, right? Oh, if only I could spend that much on a headunit :wow:

its whats in my micra ;) you never gave a price range so.... but yea its a crazy headunit, the sound quality is amazing.

when i want a cheap headunit i buy sony, i have 4 cars with sony headunits and they just work, but when i want a real sound system i go Pioneer, they beat everything, even Alpine.

its whats in my micra ;) you never gave a price range so.... but yea its a crazy headunit, the sound quality is amazing.

when i want a cheap headunit i buy sony, i have 4 cars with sony headunits and they just work, but when i want a real sound system i go Pioneer, they beat everything, even Alpine.

Yeah, my bad :doh:

I really like the sleek look of the Pioneer range; wonder if their bluetooth capabilities are up to scratch. I vaguely recall reading somewhere a while ago that the microphones on the pioneer headunits weren't very good.

Yeah, my bad :doh:

I really like the sleek look of the Pioneer range; wonder if their bluetooth capabilities are up to scratch. I vaguely recall reading somewhere a while ago that the microphones on the pioneer headunits weren't very good.

well i can't really comment on the cheaper ones, buy the p99 comes with a calibration microphone, you plug it in, get out of the car and press go on the remote, and it uses the microphone to adjust all the time alignments etc, so it must be fairly high quality to be able to pick out all the differences.

but mine doesn't come with bluetooth, its an add on box, which is an extra £120 maybe, so i haven't bothered to invest in one yet.

You can't go wrong with Alpines ! I will never thank enough the previous owner who left it in the 1.3 when I bought it... Price is 250 300euros... Bluetooth, Ipod, USB, RCA, everything is compatible. Thank you again! :p

for the serious user from a long time now

Yes! I would almost be ashamed that I removed the Panasonic to fit back the stock cassette blaupunk stereo in the 1.0 when I sold it :laugh:
http://www.ecarsystems.com/panasonic_cq-c1313.php
It was a simple, and solid unit. But no USB, no ACC and no bluetooth. Price is under 60£.

The Alpine is on another level, see the "Features & Specifications" section:
http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/cd-head-units/cde-9882ri.html
If you can find it used but in good nick, go for it without any doubt!

hmm, mixed bag of suggestions. Some of you say pioneer, others alpine. What about kenwood? Anyone got any experience with any of their models?

Personally I'd stick with Pioneer or Alpine. I use a Pioneer AVH Double Din in the Avensis. Might be worth also looking at JVC as I've had a number of fantastic units from them which were really underated.

Back