Just a thought. (Interesting Read)

Hyundai

Buy & Sell Member
GA16DE Conversion; the MUST knows.

Okay, okay, we all know the limits of our cash and our imaginations. Yet, people are still inspired by the idea of putting the GA16DE in to their Micra; anyone who is mechanically inclined has thought of this one way or another, whether it's putting the SR20DE engine in there, or to Turbo the original engine. All in all, the goal is the same: to get more power.

Reading along these forums and various other sources, replacing the heavily choked CG13DE with a GA16DE seems to haul nothing but problems and difficulties. However, it has been done, so it's not exactly impossible in terms of keeping safety and practicality close at mind. There are the problems I have come across, or rather, read whilst my studies of this conversion has progressed:

• Position of the Engine. (To use original mounts and cut the Chassis Rail so that the original Drift-Shafts can be used. Other method I believe is to use custom mounts, which however displaces the gearbox to a different position which requires custom drive shafts.)

* If one wishes to use the original drive shafts, a considerable amount of the chassis would need to be cut away.
  • Which Gearbox to use. (I think this rather depends on which methods is taken from above.)

* It is advised to use the GA14 or CG13 Gear-boxes has the GA16 has lengthy gear ratios.
  • Gear Linkages. (Again, depends on the method used from above.)

* These would need to be custom, but is not very difficult.
  • Water Pump. (An electrical unit can be purchased and used.)

* If one doesn't want to cut the chassis, the options would be buying an electrical water pump or space out the engine so that the original pump can be used.
  • Radiator. (The GA16DE's radiator apparently doesn't fit inside the Micra, however, the CG13DE radiator can be used if suitable hoses are found/used.)

* The GA16 radiator will fit but doesn't leave much space, the CG13 fits only with the Micra cross-member.
  • Exhaust System. (I could only assume a custom system would need to be made, or a joining of the GA16DE Manifold and Downpipe to the rest of the CG13DE exhaust system.)

* A replacement manifold could be ordered from the U.S for £100; more or less. Which lines up with the rest of the Micra exhaust system.
  • Cold Idle Sensor. (Must be wired in.)

* Through existing projects, it is said that this isn't totally necessary.
  • ECU. (The GA16DE should be used for safe measure, seeing as should one have the Engine, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting the ECU.)

* The GA16 ECU is the best option; however, you can get the CG13 ECU mapped. (Contact Ed on the forums.)
  • Speedometer. (Recalibration needs to takes place or the dials would need to be transferred.)

* Dials are a straight swap.
  • Suspension/Brakes. (Everything would need to be changed to accommodate the extra power and weight.)

* This isn't totally necessary, but is still advisable.

The information I've gathered here (A lot from Nex) may not be bullet proof in the way I have conveyed and interpreted. If anything is incorrect, feel free to inform me.

I don't think I can stress how much curiosity this strikes up for me; I am ever so interested in attempting this myself. The thing is, everyone has the same goal, but it's the objectives are the things we need to make. At the moment I am trying to find a scrap Micra, which some people may have seen in the Buy/Sell section of the forum.

My main intention with this project, is to make some kind of template that other people can follow. I would like to take pictures, make illustrations and just really write some kind of diary based on the whole project itself. So that people who wish to attempt this project can do so with a bit more information to rely on so that they can better prepare themselves for the inevitable that's involved. I think that, we could make a comprehensive guide exclusive to the forum, where everyone contributes in favour of the forum and memebers who want to do this.

I would just like some feedback, advice or what ever you believe can benefit me with this kind of project. Also, to benefit others who have this kind of thing in mind. Any other kind of things to add to the list above, etc.

I cannot give any specific date to which I will start this, I think that more preparation is needed, and more importantly, the cars and engines themselves. (Which I am trying to do right now.)

Thanks for reading.

the heavier (cast iron) GA engine would,nt interest me at all, it,s a lot of hassle for an extra 300cc fwn (especially when 100hp is so easily attained from the 1.3)
the CG is a peach of an engine :cool:, and with a 4kg flywheel and some subtle breathing mods and a lowered suspension the car is a hoot to drive imo

• Position of the Engine. (To use original mounts and cut the Chassis Rail so that the original Drift-Shafts can be used. Other method I believe is to use custom mounts, which however displaces the gearbox to a different position which requires custom drive shafts.)

theres no way to use the original shafts unless you take alot of the chassis away
  • Which Gearbox to use. (I think this rather depends on which methods is taken from above.)

personaly i would use a ga14 or cg13 box as the ga16 box has long gears
  • Gear Linkages. (Again, depends on the method used from above.)

custom but its not that hard
  • Water Pump. (An electrical unit can be purchased and used.)

if you dont want to cut the chassis then only way is to space the engine or used a electric waterpump
  • Radiator. (The GA16DE's radiator apparently doesn't fit inside the Micra, however, the CG13DE radiator can be used if suitable hoses are found/used.)

the ga16 rad fits but it dont leave no room and the cg rad only fits if your using the micra crossmember
  • Exhaust System. (I could only assume a custom system would need to be made, or a joining of the GA16DE Manifold and Downpipe to the rest of the CG13DE exhaust system.)

you can get s/s manifold from the usa for less than 100 and it lines up with the micra exhaust
  • Cold Idle Sensor. (Must be wired in.)
    mine ran fine for 2+years without it
  • ECU. (The GA16DE should be used for safe measure, seeing as should one have the Engine, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting the ECU.)

ga16 ecu or get ed to remap a cg ecu
  • Speedometer. (Recalibration needs to takes place or the dials would need to be transferred.)

dials are a straight swop
  • Suspension/Brakes. (Everything would need to be changed to accommodate the extra power and weight.)

idealy but i know a guy who runs a sr20 on std brakes and suspension

also theres not much weight diffrance betwwen the ga and sr if anything the sr is heaver

Having got brake fade on a 1.0 at <55 mph driving (2 miles of hard cornering)i think brakes are pretty much essential.

hes right you can use standard brakes but the wear rate goes up dramatic i personally found that since ive up rated the power on my car i go through pads 2 months quicker than when the car was standard

Interesting read there asnd this could turn into a useful thread..

I'm hoping to do this next year on a second track K11 :D

Back