What tape is that on the manifold pipes?

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Is it better than heat proof paint or so so?
Just wondering.
Thanks.

kanagawa05099yl1.jpg

lagging

heat wrap

search ebay, heatproof paint just is for painting and standing the heat

this stuff keeps the heat in, and doesnt let it heat the engine bay just as much with it fitted

I wouldn't recommend using this tape on non-stainless steel manifolds. More often than not it accelerates corrosion. They do a good job of lowering under-bonnet temperatures. Ceramic coating is better, but that would cost about £300 I'd guess rather than about £35 for a roll of tape!

But wouldn't keeping the heat on the manifold eventually cause it to crack?

Apparently the NASCAR cars had problems with it as their manifolds are usually exposed to a prolonged amount of 800°+ temperatures...with the added heat tape this grew too 1100°+ which had the predictable result of melting the manifolds. I'm fairly certain this won't happen on a Micra lol

as far as i know heat wrap keeps the manifold temperature high deliberately, this is because a hot exhaust expels gasses faster.

Are there any articles about a hot exhaust expelling gases faster? Just quite interested as i am technical guy and we're here to gain knowledge.

I actually don't see how it would expel the gases faster. The gases are pushed out by the exhaust pressure of the actual engine. The only real advantage i see here is the fact that it will lower the engine bay temperatures which is handy if you have a top mounted intercooler.

Are there any articles about a hot exhaust expelling gases faster? Just quite interested as i am technical guy and we're here to gain knowledge.

I actually don't see how it would expel the gases faster. The gases are pushed out by the exhaust pressure of the actual engine. The only real advantage i see here is the fact that it will lower the engine bay temperatures which is handy if you have a top mounted intercooler.

I found this on an American toyota site,

David Fain's cheap exhaust trick

"One cheap way to get extra power and fuel economy is to wrap your exhaust manifold/header with heat resistant exhaust wrap/tape.

"When exhaust gases are pushed out of your cylinders to your exhaust manifold, the air surrounding the manifold begin to cool the gases. This cooling process reduces the velocity of the escaping gases and the engine must 'work' to push the gases through your exhaust system.

"Wrapping the exhaust headers with exhaust wrap maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower underhood and intake temperatures. I would also venture to guess that my catalytic converter operates more efficiently since hotter gases would elevate burning of pollutants.

"I purchased the exhaust wrap by a company called Thermo Tec from a JC Whitney catalog for around $30. I installed the wrap on the header and a portion of the exhaust pipe leading from the catalytic converter to the muffler.

"This mild enhancement resulted in a 5 - 7 HP gain ... the power surge starts at around 3,000 rpm. I haven't had the chance to monitor the fuel economy gains."

I have my full system heat wrapped, manifold, centre section etc and I noticed a good difference compared to my old Janspeed system which was not heat wrapped, especially in torque around 3k

I discussed this with Janspeed, and they recommend NOT using it on a mild steel manifold, and it will invalidate your warranty with them, as it will cause it to crack

I discussed this with Janspeed, and they recommend NOT using it on a mild steel manifold, and it will invalidate your warranty with them, as it will cause it to crack

they crack anyway because they are a rigid designo_O, regardless of heat wrap.

I remember Dave and Mike discussing this a while back when I was with them doing stuff to his NME K11 and they both said the heatwrap was causing accelerated rust problems due to the wrap holding in more water.

tbh heat wrap to me sounds like its good for one thing keeping heat contained. It also causes damage to your product. I have never seen proof of any gains etc and i don't see anyway it can give any gains?!?!

If you put in a small bendy section into the janspeed exhaust where it's decatted it would reduce the risk of cracking due to being so rigid.

I just want to see proof really or an explanation how it does this?

It's fine for use on higher grade s/s fanimolds, you WILL see gains. But not recommended on m/s fanimolds, for the above named reasons.

Back