what have I done?(gearbox problem)

Hi all!
So decided to change my release bearing(it makes alot of noise) and clutch as well in that case, but instead of splitting gearbox from engine I have opened it.

When I saw one of the gear I realized that im in big trouble.))
What is my option guys? Take off the box and try to put new sealant or just to look for new box?(its 1996 prefacelift k11)

Thanks for help

Attachments

• IMG_3447.JPG
    IMG_3447.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 253
first lets diagnose the issue from the symptoms.

worn release bearing = noise when clutch is pressed. simply seperate gearbox from engine & replace clutch.

worn input shaft bearing = whining/rattling when in neutral & clutch is up, or when applying load. pitch matches with engine rpm.
either get the bearing replaced = long expensive labour & parts,
or just replace the whole gearbox with another used one = fast & cheaper

worn layshaft/diff bearing = whining only when wheels are moving, pitch matches road wheels.
basically new gearbox.

now, since you've opened & disturbed the casing seal, contaminating with gear oil, it won't seal properly.
so you could just bolt & torque it back up n hope for the best, then correctly separate the gearbox bellhousing from the engine to change the clutch, but imo the gearbox casing will prob just leak abit till it's empty.

since the driveshafts r already off, imo I'd just remove the gearbox out the car, decide ur plan according to the diagnosis above.
now if ur reusing the gearbox, take off the casing, clean off the old sealant till its bare clean smooth dry metal, apply new bead of PU or gasket sealant, rebolt together, fit new clutch & gearbox n all the rest.
let the sealant fully cure overnight before filling with new gearbox oil.

now if ur reusing the gearbox, take off the casing, clean off the old sealant till its bare clean smooth dry metal, apply new bead of PU or gasket sealant, rebolt together, fit new clutch & gearbox n all the rest.
let the sealant fully cure overnight before filling with new gearbox oil.
Probably i will do this. By theory if I will clean gearbox casing sealant and apply new and put it together with torque wrench that gear oil shouldn't leak, isn't it?

Back