Another gearbox question

CMF_smaug

» CMF Member
Hi there,

I have a K11 1.0 Micra with a real bad gearbox noise. The thing is, the grinding noise is there in all gears exept 5th gear. Shifting 1st to 5th is smooth and the shift feel is nice. The gearoil looked like it was put on the box yesterday. I thinking of just change the box but since I like to tinker with stuff like this and havn't open a box like this before, I though it can't be that hard to change a ball bearing or two if that was the case.
Any advice would be nice at this point :)

Cheers...

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
I have one in English (nissan workshop manual), can probably scan the related pages in on the wkend if i have time, and if u are keen?
You will need bearing pullers of a decent size!

CMF_smaug

» CMF Member
Mickeybbb, that would be nice :) I have a lot of stuff at work for these kind of operation(Baldur internal and external bearing puller, FAG bearing heater, 30T workshop press etc) so tools should not be a issue. I'm also prepeared to do a gearbox swap if s*** hits the fan, but if its just one bearing that are shot, I think I will try to just change that bearing.

I can also hear a not so nice sound from the engine at idle but my quess is that the water pump is in need to be changed as well.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Sounds to me like its the input shaft bearing has gone. Is meant to be easy but i will know in a few weeks as the new gear box arrives and the input shaft bearing is stuffed on it so will need to do it prior to putting it in.

CMF_620racer

» CMF Member
Input bearing isn't a hard job, only tricky bit is making sure you put all the shift mechanism back in correctly, theres some little sliders on the selector arms that can be a pain in the a%#.

smaug it sounds like you have more than enough equipment to do the job.

sik, I assisted littlebear in pulling the engine and gearbox and the input bearing is definitely stuffed.

Back