What happens when your timing chain breaks?

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
YES
I have seen this problem on a customers car at a workshop I used to work for. It bent a few valves. It was a very expensive repair. The genuine Nissan timing chain parts (a full set was used including new guides), the head servicing with replacement valves (as required), gaskets, new headbolts (these are required to be replaced- they are single use stretch bolts standard) and labour came to about $3500. This particular customer did not want to buy a second hand engine (it was recommended). My advice if the timing chain is noisy replace it before it breaks, otherwise by a second hand engine.

CMF_Daniel

» CMF Member
ouch, thats a pain.

Thanks for the info.

My timing chain broke two weeks ago. My micra is sitting in my front yard. I bought a 2001 corolla seca because i cant be without a car and dont currently have the time to fix it, I am a fourth year engineering student and am currently writing my thesis.

I was quoted $2500-$3000 to recon my engine. I was also quoted $800 not including parts to fit an engine that i supply, I've been offered one $770 with warranty with less than 100000km it.

If anyone is interested in buying it, ill sell it if a reasonable offer is made. It would suit a turbo or supercharging project as it would be cheap alternative to buying a running car. You could build a motor up over time without any lossed (rego etc.), then just drop it in.

This car has served me well over the 4 years that i have owned it and i would love to see it go to a good home. I will deliver it anywhere in brisbane for about $100 or you could have it towed.

The engine turns over nicely and doesnt make any strange sounds. Apart form the timing chain problem, the car is mechanically in good condition and has done 196000km. The front brake rotors were just replaced along with the rear wheel brake cylinders and it has new brake pads all around. It has two near new tyres on the front and the rears are still legal, but there isnt much left.

It is a 1995 LX with air conditioning located in brisbane.

Thanks again MicraT

Daniel

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
it turns over but it doesnt start?

That doesnt sound right.

CG13 is definately an interference engine - a miracle occured if the chain snapped and the valves didn't kiss the pistons.

PS: $800 to put a new engine in is ridiculous unless they're cleaning out the sump of the new engine, replacing all vacuum hoses and coolant pipes and putting new seals in the bottom end.

Back