timing chain

CMF_emily87

» CMF Member
Hi, am thinking of buying a micra from 2003, or 04. I've googled them but came up with lots of timing chain problems.

Was wondering if this was a common problem, or if anyone could give me a better idea of how much it would be to replace the timing chain, and how many miles roughly it needs changing at?
Thanks

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Unless they changed the design in the later engines that's a surprise as they don't give much trouble as a rule.
My two cars (1995 models) have 370,000 & 190,000k's on them and no problems.
Poor maintenence such as infrequent oil changes or cheap quality oil will accelerate wear of the chain and tensioners.

Chains and tensioners were/are available through member NSM.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
daughter has a old N reg for her first car , chain is noisy , just as it was some 10 months ago , garage says is easier and cheaper to just throw in another engine if it does go ... the chain in mine slaps at startup (2000 facelift built in UK ) ... and the wifes ( pre facelift built in Japan ) ..not a sound ... I just accept its a load of chain and cogs whizzing round in a light alloy block .. bound to be more nosiy than a rubber belt .

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
The 2003 micra has a timing belt and not a chain. They also did seem to have issues with early belt failures but latter models seemed to overcome that issue. As long as the car has good service history and the belt has been changed when due then you should have no issues.

Back