timing chain - worse case scenario info

CMF_jmac

» CMF Member
Hi, I'm a new member - I'm not a micra owner but one of my friends is. I found this site after googling about the timing chain.

The reason being - his car - at around 70,000km actually went worse case scenario - and snapped a timing chain, and then pistons hit and bent a few valves. From reading here, the timing chain/tensioners are a known issue, but not normally at only 70,000km. The one other factor is that his car was not driven for a few months due to being parked at another house, and not being needed, and the damage then happened very soon after starting the car - the same day, after perhaps 10km.

Anyway, the task of fixing the damage is mine (since it's what I used to do for a living). Rather than rebuild the damaged head (which could easily go over $1000 for just the headwork, aside from remove and re-fit, when you have to replace a bunch of valves, re-set clearances and so forth) we've located (after a few that we sourced turned out to be no good) a second hand head that's in ok condition, so will proceed from there.

If you guys think it'd be of any interest, I'll do a write up of what's involved, and a few digital pics to try and make it easier to follow.

There's a couple of initial pics (showing the damaged/bent valves) at

http://jmacperformance.com/Peter's Micra/

EDIT - the above link doesn't quite work - you'll need to cut and paste the whole thing to make it work. if it still doesn't, let me know and I'll change the folder name to make it compatible. /EDIT

as well as pics of the clutch - which will get replaced at the same time since it's low, and the motor was pulled.

The motor didn't absolutely have to come out, but to be sure there wasn't any further damage or debris further down, we went that way anyway. If I had to do the job again (now knowing that the chains are a problem, so I don't have to go digging to find out why it let go, or that something else is possibly damaged) I'd probably leave the motor in to do it, but then I guess I wouldn't have found the clutch was close to the end of it's life :)

Any questions, or tips you guys have - things you want photographed, advice you can offer me (or vice versa) - please let me know.

One thing I wouldn't mind knowing - I've tried to get one via torrent downloads (and is an existing torrent) - but nobody on that torrent actually has more than 92.4% of teh whole thing - any seeders with the lot have since disappeared - is there any other source for a complete workshop manual? I looked into one - and was quoted $500. I've got the info I need to setup the cams, and head bolt torque, but I'd love a full manual. If anyone has one, let me know if I can borrow. If I can - I'll scan the lot if it's any help to anyone. I'm in Melbourne btw.

John McKenzie

smidge

» CMF Member
that manual you speak of i'm pretty sure is the K10 manual, which is proably why no one has bothered to keep seeding it, not much use for a K11

there IS a haynes manual for this car which is $35 well spent, repco, autobarn etc have them or order online!

good luck with this, there's a good thread on here about replacing the tensioner, its something i'm not really looking forward to personally...

its reason enough to look after the car mechanically, always put new oil etc in it regularly, especially when its been sitting for a while

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
id toss out the engine and just buy a jap engine or something..

they're only $500 or so..

i have a full workshop manual but intend on selling it...be looking at under half price for what you paid though if you are interested.

Back