What damper rates do you run?

Hi guys,

Im currently setting up a dynamic impact simulation to analyse wishbone forces.

I need to know what sort of damper rates people run? and spring rates would also help.
Im finding it very hard to find out much about typical damper rates...

Thanks in advance! :)
Ed

i re-tested the stock k11 and matiz ones last week ed, the return damping is about 2 x the compression damping on the k11, and is about 4 x on the matiz
(not very scientific i know :) )

I what sense Ed?
Road use? Competition?
Standard? Coilovers?

I'd assume most if not all people use whatever damper rate is given by the manufacturer and don't change damper rates :) springs are much the same I presume
The bc coilovers i've seen are fixed b/r ratio

I what sense Ed?
Road use? Competition?
Standard? Coilovers?

I'd assume most if not all people use whatever damper rate is given by the manufacturer and don't change damper rates :) springs are much the same I presume
The bc coilovers i've seen are fixed b/r ratio

Well, the application is designed towards rally but was trying to get an overview. It doesnt need to exact but more of a general idea.

Well, the application is designed towards rally but was trying to get an overview. It doesnt need to exact but more of a general idea.
This is where I complicate it a litte bit
Forest rally? Or tarmac rally? As the setups are very very different.
I'm guessing by impact simulation you'd need weights and approx shock forces? Or is that what you control?

Well, the idea is to simulate hitting a rock or similar (which is when I assume the wishbone would fail), so forest rally I guess.

What would be the softest damper rating (in bump) that you could expect to run? (softer damping means less force on spring and therefore more force on wishbone).

I had a feeling you may be able to help me on this one Andy :D

Some rough calcs for a damping ration of 0.6 has come up with a damping ratio about 1470Ns/m sound anywhere near right?

Well, the idea is to simulate hitting a rock or similar (which is when I assume the wishbone would fail), so forest rally I guess.

What would be the softest damper rating (in bump) that you could expect to run? (softer damping means less force on spring and therefore more force on wishbone).

I had a feeling you may be able to help me on this one Andy :D

Some rough calcs for a damping ration of 0.6 has come up with a damping ratio about 1470Ns/m sound anywhere near right?
Rocks are the main culprits for bending em :p

I shall do my best to help out ;)

I've got some forest rally data I'll go dig it up. Should help you out more. Force depends on vehicle weight and spring rate too :) where's the 0.6 from?

205 GTi
Front 643.5kg (50/50)
Rear 411.5kg (50/50)
Spring rates 160lbs/in all round (2.86kg/mm)
Dampers (I have a graph somewhere)
Hertz F - 1.4 R - 1.6
C/R - 1.473 progressive (kgf/mms)

Any good Ed?

Good figure :)

Compression vs Rebound I assume in which case I'd use 0.6 as a control figure

Have you any hertz ratios?

Found some data I'll add it in a mo
No sorry, ration of damping/critical damping

205 GTi
Front 643.5kg (50/50)
Rear 411.5kg (50/50)
Spring rates 160lbs/in all round (2.86kg/mm)
Dampers
Hertz F - 1.4 R - 1.6
C/R - 1.473 progressive (kgf/mms)
You've lost me a bit here,
What is a Hertz ratio?
And C/R?

(assuming linear damping in my model btw :) )

No sorry, ration of damping/critical damping

You've lost me a bit here,
What is a Hertz ratio?
And C/R?

(assuming linear damping in my model btw :) )
Ah I see. Makes sense now :p

Hertz is as you know frequency. Frequency of the shocks. I use inches per second
Ratio is the out difference. Between 0.8 and 0.9 usually

Its to do with going over bumps. Front deals with initial bump but rear has to deal with bump and and the effect of front :)

aye, equal compression and rebound andy, where-as the k11 and matiz fronts were 1:2 and 1:4
And they're standard items?

Never ever come across 1:1 in anything. How did you test em?

I could probably guarantee rebound is higher than compression :)

1393163616040.jpg

This might help a tad more :/
Its a force vs velocity graph
Goes up in lbs
And across in inches/second
Compression top left
Rebound bottom right

Its a typical road car/tarmac rally setup
Rotate (not flip) 180deg to get an idea of a forest rally setup

Shows you how much compression is added (jacking up setup) along with spring rate

I suppose we can create a dual linear line to represent a rough progressive rate :)
I could write an expression for damping but would need at least a damping curve in order to do this. The simulation is an impact so would just use the higher rate otherwise.

View attachment 28503
This might help a tad more :/
Its a force vs velocity graph
Goes up in lbs
And across in inches/second
Compression top left
Rebound bottom right

Its a typical road car/tarmac rally setup
Rotate (not flip) 180deg to get an idea of a forest rally setup

Shows you how much compression is added (jacking up setup) along with spring rate
arrr, yes, that looks good. what damper is it?
Do you have any exported data from it? .csv? or excel format? or matlab? anything with numbers in really :D

arrr, yes, that looks good. what damper is it?
Do you have any exported data from it? .csv? or excel format? or matlab? anything with numbers in really :D
Thats a custom bilstein b4 or 7 iirc

No idea that's all computer stuff. I load the program and it shows me that :p
I can get print outs etc. I'll email it to you?

Force vs Velocity graph with every single adjustment tested :p
mostly two stage bump and linear rebound eh? that what they call '3 way adjustable'? I may be wrong but it looks like the thing being adjusted is the speed at which the shock goes from low to high rate? and the low speed rate, but not the high speed rate?

Also, andy, what would an average spring rate be for a forest micra rally set up?

Last edited:
mostly two stage bump and linear rebound eh? that what they call '3 way adjustable'?

Also, andy, what would an average spring rate be for a forest micra rally set up?
That's a 3 stage shock that one :) you can see in the rebound. The low speed is pretty similar throughout. Linear then digresses to a 3rd linear line :)

Its comp and rebound adjustable individually. Then we can alter shock pressure too :)
Other than the obvious change. Valving pretty much remains the same

Typical rate I'd say would be 140-160lbs/in :)

Back