What are these for?

I stupidly didn't take pictures... will do tomorrow if no-one can decypher my description. ..

There are two breather pipes in the engine bay, one that comes out of the tranny and goes upwards and one that comes out of a cylinder next to the washer motor.

According to Haynes, the cylinder is the "evaporative emission carbon canister". WTF is that?!

As for the two breathers (tranny and evaporative emissions one); should I look at relocating these higher along with the air intake for fording rivers, or are they overflows only and have one-way valves fitted?

M.

the gearbox breather pipe goes up to a high point (I tied mine next to the crbon canister) and then hooks down to stop debris falling in it. it's meant to be always open n allow the space inside the gearbox to breath freely as the oil expands/contracts.

the carbon canister has 4 pipes.
- a thick pipe at the top right goes to the fuel tank breather.
- the pipe underneath is an air intake pointing down, allowing the fuel tank to breath as the fuel level drops and fresh air to purge through the canister collecting the fumes to be burnt.
- the thick pipe at the left goes to the back of the inlet manifold which releases collected fuel fumes to be burnt only during high vacuum and is controlled by the thin pipe at the top left which feeds vacuum from the rear of the TB to move a diaphram valve.

if ur gonna be driving the car for long periods on a river where the water splash is above the chassis floor, I'd perhaps shorten/raise or remove the canisters bottom pipe to prevent water being sucked up during high vacuum.

I may extend the gearbox breather a bit higher... and definetely do something about that fuel line...

or maybe just bring something to plug them both up... this seems to be the standard way of crossing rivers in mongolia...

it's really starting to worry me given how low the micra is!!!

M.

Back