were to get wheel bearing from in a.c.t.

cisco

» CMF Member
I need some rear ones too mate..

What's that bearing place in Fyshwick that everyone here refers you to?

Also, someone was saying at the meet that you have to buy them from Nissan Genuine? And its about $360 a pair or something.

zoiks.

cisco

» CMF Member
Sorry did you mean MUST BUY or MUST BE ? You mean they MUST BE genuine because they are $136 (expensive) ?

Where did you get them from, because I would like to buy some too.

Also: Were they front or rear?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
rear ones AFAIK arn't replaceable, have to buy entire hub as part of the inner bearing is the hub (rather stoopid IMHO)

Alex

Attachments

• 18360.jpg
    18360.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 19

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
I replaced one rear hub late last year and if I remember correctly it was about $240.00 (this was for an abs hub and was a fairly discounted trade price.) I was going to replace both of them until I found out the price.

cisco

» CMF Member
Not a bad idea. But mighty mouse seems to think Ben @ Intune is onto it.

I'm going to book my car in there again soon and will just get him to chase it all up and install. Also going to get him to put on smaller injectors and perfect my mixtures at idle which will improve the fuel economy (its dumping fuel out right now at idle because the injectors can't be backed off any more), and get him to fix the oil leak from my turbo too.

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
I had the engineer friend of mine (who did my five stud conversion) have a look at fitting a new bearing to the hub. I suggested to him that they were an unusual hub/bearing set up by the extreme price of them. He dismantled the bearing to inspect and said I was right, that they did not have a removable bearing as such and that the ball bearings actually run directly on the inner of the hub itself. The hubs are a hardened material and would not be practical to machine them to take a more conventional/replacable type bearing.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
I'm having the wheel bearings looked at by Ultratune tomorrow as they're making a noise, will let you know what the outcome is, and if it is going to cost a king's ransom, I'll be trading the old girl in because I've been through this crap before, you fix something and something else breaks, putting good money after bad isn't my cup of tea. What do you all think of the styling of the Proton Savvy? I quite like it, only drawback is the 1.2L engine in it, but for $16800 on the road it's not bad.

Attachments

• 18503.jpg
    18503.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 26

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
In this price range Tom, they're all much of a muchness, the Getz are like bums, everyone's got one...and the Swift is underpowered for its weight. The Jazz, too plain. Ford Focus seats are too hard and I don't like the front end, those headlights (omg). Had a look at the Mazda 2 Maxx, for just over $20,000, I don't know it just doesn't do anything for me. This is so hard, I go into the dealerships, walk back out towards my car, my heart still skips a beat when I see it, its just so damn cute! Bloody Nissan, when will they ever get their act together. I'd be keeping the micra if it weren't for the difficulty of attaining parts.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well if your rear bearings are giving some noise, there's x2 rear low km units (55,000km - don't remind them how low the KM were on this car) on a white SLX at Capalaba Japanese Wreckers. They should be cheaper than brand new and will also have a 3 month warrenty or something. Don't mention how much they are brand new. Your mechanic of choice will be able to fit them, etc.

Front bearings should be similar to any other car on the road cost wise. Be happy you don't have ABS to worry about. That's the problem which faces Super S drivers.

Hehe It sounds like you need to import yourself a K12... lol but parts will be worse than the K11 for sure.

Oh yeh I should note, proton parts are expensive!!! Nissan parts arent such bad prices these days (when they have them of course).

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Micragirl,

I also like those Proton Savvy's.... I reckon they look good and seem to be good value. Their styling is appealing and much more interesting than any other small car on the market at present. Those "lotus inspired" gauges are great and it's one of the few hatchbacks around with a driver's footrest (which i really like).

I haven't driven one myself but according to "motor" mag they handle really well and fuel economy is really good. Alas, they say they are a bit slow and underpowered but would still make a good city car/runabout.

For the price they seem well equiped... they even have a reversing sensors & alloy wheels as standard.

It's a shame Nissan just don't bring over the K11 "Super March" that is sold in Tawian. I would definately buy one to replace one of my ageing micras !.

cisco

» CMF Member
Cool. Yeah let us know.

I drove a brand new Ford Focus recently.. I didn't like the hard plastic interior, it looks nice in appearance, but I just felt that it was a little bit cheap feeling. Nice and spacious and well thought out design from the short drive I had, but still felt like your typical semi gutless standard small FWD car.. Not enough reason to sell a micra and upgrade to or anything.. But all the same a nice small car. I think micras are starting to miss some of the more modern clevers or refinement, like more simplistic electricals and more compact/integrated parts. But at the same time, the micra is great because its so light and simple etc.

I have been thinking that I wouldn't really want to upgrade until a whole pile of newer technology comes out.. I.e. right now, all you are getting that the micra has not got is VVT and maybe EBD and some things like that. But the micra is still an efficient twim cam engine and with 4 wheel disc brakes and decent handling suspension etc. So I just think its mostly only the styling and interior that is better in modern cars. The k11 chassis is already a winner.

When new cars have some super modern high tec new engine with 5 extra better things, then I would maybe consider an upgrade one day.. But that kind of leap takes like 10-20 years to happen in cars I reckon..

Most annoying thing I find with the k11 micra is the ugly old headlights, they really take the car an entire era back compared to all the modern looking ones with crystal headlights etc. And when you do buy the aftermarket crystal headlights, they don't point straight ahead which is most frustrating. So its like you either have an ugly old looking micra, or you have nice looking headlights that don't work. Hence I wouldn't mind slamming the front end of the HK11 micra on my car one day with a full pearl white respray to completely resolve that issue and bring the car forward another few years in appearance also.

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
Hey guys,
I had the same problems with my wheel bearings and I also had them replaced. So that was me at the winter meet that said that you have to buy genuine hubs for the rear.

I paid nearly $300 for them each and price was included with the fitting. The mechanic that I took it too was shocked at the price so he gave me the labor cheap.

As I am aware there is no one who does an aftermarket replacement kit for the rear wheel bearings. They are a sealed unit and that is why you have to buy the whole hub.

I had both of mine replaced just incase the other one went on me. Yeah it hurt the wallet but this way I am safe for now.

Also the old rear hubs are nothing but useless so it was the bin for them. Also this is the same with later model holdens. Just a way to buy genuine parts at genuine pricess.

Good luck with it all.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Yay! I didn't have a wheel bearing gone, it was a c.v. driveshaft boot replacement $115-00 incl labour. Also, miccy has been given a clean bill of health, she had a major service with a new alternator belt and a brake fluid flush. I cannot seriously believe that in the 11 years I have had this car that that is all she needed. Apart from the water in the fuel, this car has been amazing. No way am I selling it now, I'm hanging in there for the long haul. God I am so happy tonight. I mentioned to the mechanic that I would be trading it in if there was any major dramas unfolding today, when I went to pick it up he asked me if I was seriously going to get rid of it. No way I said, $488-00 for 11 years motoring is wayyyyyy too economical to trade her in. He did look a bit disappointed though lol Cheers guys

cisco

» CMF Member
Yay, that's awesome to hear Micragirl. Well done.

Glad that you are really REALLY happy with it.

Yeah I think a few of us on the site have been on a bit of a downer lately, things have gotten a bit quieter and people have been showing more and more interest in newer, more "refined" small cars.

But like you, every single time I take a real serious look at what's available, I just click back into reality and realise that I would be throwing away something really special and perfect for what my needs are, and I'd be crazy to do so until the newer cars had like 20 newer more modern high tec upgrades on them.. But right now, the outlay simply isn't worth it just to get VVT and a fresh interior..

Go the mighty micra!!! For a long time coming..

Attachments

• 18579.jpg
    18579.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 20

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
I agree whole heartedly Cisco. Nothing out there worth swapping the little pocket rocket for. I forgot to mention that I got into a bit of a run with a new Mazda 3, and yep, he was really trying, I even gave him a head start as the line across the traffic lights is staggered. After leaving him behind, I decided to back off and not get booked, but hey, my car was just lunging forward and she isn't even turboed...I think I surprised him a bit. Its amazing what new plugs and a dyno tune can do for a car.

Attachments

• 18581.jpg
    18581.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 17

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I spotted my car in the carpark the other day. The paint was wet after raining and the sunlight on it was just perfect. It was the best looking car in the whole damn carpark (in my eyes).

IS there any way I'd ditch that right now? Hell no.

Got a fright from nissan spare parts for CV boots. $100 each. Thompsons/Coventrys spare parts sold them to me for $20 each. Legends. To suit the micra too. :)

Now to figure out how to replace them.... hehe

Attachments

• 18583.jpg
    18583.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 16

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah my CV guy sells CV boot kits that suit the micra for $12 includes the metal strap. Far out $100 from Nissan, what a joke.

They are just purely generic parts that fit so many different cars.

YOM, I have always found that without the metal belt tensioner tool, its heaps better to get the CV guy to do it. I remove the shaft and just drop it over to him. That way he charges next to nothing to remove old grease, clean them, apply new fresh grease, apply new boot with metal belts tensioned properly. This guy really charges me ilke $25 per boot inc. labour if you have already removed the shafts and just dropped them in. Go N&B Driveshafts in Hawker!

cisco

» CMF Member
Ok cool, let me know how you go.

I tried using pliers and it was really difficult with the belts I had to get them to bite really deep into the rubber boot and hold it on under decent tension. My CV guy has this cool crimping or tensioning tool especially made for doing CV belts.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Worked like a charm cisco. :)

Bearings are all nice and free spinning, possibly been replaced before by the looks of things. *phew*

CV joints are also in perfect condition. ZERO movement in any of the bearings. Lovely and tight. :D So pleased.

Ended up replacing all 4 boots. Damn coventries didnt give me the right boots for the whole lot, but they all worked... Only just though. lol.

Unless you have the particular tool, you need 4 hands to tighten the metal straps properly. One hand to pull on the wire with multigrips, one hand to hold a piece of wood underneath that piece you're pulling, the other hand to hold the shaft and the other hand to hold something across those little metal folding tabs which stick up (this is to stop the metal bands moving).

Knocking the outer CV's off is pretty hair raising (i hate hitting bearings). The long drive shaft inner joint is probably the easiest to service of the lot.

No pics sorry. LOTS OF GREASE. I would definately recommend removing the shafts yourself and taking them to a mechanic to put the boots on if you don't have the facilities or confidence to work with lots of grease and hit things quite hard. lol

CMF_mrh

» CMF Member
There is a place in Sydney, Rydlemere I think. They do genuine front cv's for $130 each and that is fitted. Takes about an hour to do and comes with 3 year warranty.

These guys only use genuine parts and they are a good bunch of blokes that I thought.

I had a noise that was coming from the front and it wasn't a cv that I thought was the noise. It was the rear wheel bearing. Just that the noise transfered to the front.

They took it for a drive and told me that the cv's were not the problem. Then they advised me to see there there mechanic who also was a top bloke.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Just giving this thread a bump.
The noise I mentioned earlier has come back, I'm pretty sure its a wheel bearing gone. Taking it to Pedders this arvo for a check up, hopefully this time it can be detected, diagnosed and FIXED! It's the only thing that is out of place, everything else is soooo perfect.
Cheers

Back