Vibration and wheel play...bearing or shock??

mikey

Ex. Club Member
Howdy people, the SR has decided to be a giant vibrator for the last day or so...had a look at it and there's a lot of play in the o/s front wheel, both 3-9 and 12-6 o'clock, and if i hold the top of the shock from inside the wheel arch and shake the caliper assembly i can feel movement in there...also ive checked the tightness of the top mount, (swan neck and moleys) can anyone advise whether it's more likely the wheel bearing, or the shock that's gone wrong?
Cheers folks! :p

Id take the wheel off and make sure everything suspension related is tight. Check for leaks, wear etc...should help you quickly eliminate some possibles

Id take the wheel off and make sure everything suspension related is tight. Check for leaks, wear etc...should help you quickly eliminate some possibles

Yeah man, had it off last night :)grinning:) The top of the shock, the chromed piston under the rubber seems to have some play just under the top mount when i move the leg about...going to have a proper look tomorrow, i should have mentioned that the front shocks/springs were off the wrecked car, looked 100% before i fitted them to the SR...i'm expecting either knackered shock, or wheel bearing and just want to make sure i replace the right part! :laugh:

Cheers!!

i been told if ya hold the bottom of the leg while ya spin the wheel mikey you should be able to feel it if its the bearing cos iam in the same boat as you at the moment mate :laugh: just i aint got no vibration ... had some wheel play last week but that was down to the wheel hub nut had came loose abit, nipped it up and now i have a knocking grr

Well i found my problems...they were right in front of me, the top bolt on the leg was loose, wouldn't tighten, so i undid it and found the threads were gone, just a shiny spindle...threw the broken one away and replaced it, re-tightened the lower one (carefully this time) went to put the wheel back on and noticed a grossly deformed tyre! Thing was like an "S" and i didn't even see it :doh: Probably because the tyre was ancient...

What kind of knocking is it Andy?Constant/when turning/does it speed up or slow down in relation to your speed? :p

glad ya sorted that mate ........................it all actualy started a few weeks ago..replaced bottom arm with ball joint, then a week later it started to knock when i was pulling away.... thaqt was down to bearing nut had came loose, nipped it up and all was fine till tuesday gone

this is the post........................i have a knocking when driving the car. noticed it yesterday on the way to stafford and has gradually got worse on the way back....... happens when driving straight but knocks more when streering to the right..(say on a long right curve) can hardly hear it on a left curve, if at all.
last week i noticed a similar knock this was a loose hub nut so i nipped it up abit,
anway all was fine till yesterday till i was on the motorway then the knocking started again.

just had the car jacked up and there is no play on either front wheel....but when spinning the passenger side wheel i can hear like a metel against metel sound or like a growning sound ( not the pads rubbing on the disc ) drivers side spins free no noise....iam 99% sure its coming from the centre of the hub.

never done a front wheel bearing before....
any help will be appreciated

cheers andy

i was looking in the giudes to see if there was anything in there and accidently prest new thread grrrrrrrrrrr

( STILL HASNT BEEN MOVED BY A MOD YET)

Ahh, it could be the c/v joint, quite easy to replace, or it might be a wheel bearing...it can be done, but it's a lot of whacking with hammers and improvising to get the old one out, and in true Haynes language, refitting is a reversal of removal!! With a bit of luck, it's the c/v joint! :p

good to see youve got it sorted :)

andy front hub bearings imo cant be fitted without a press...i tried and in the end just got a garage to fit them...removal is dead easy though lol. Though it sounds like driveshaft related based on your post.

good to see youve got it sorted :)

andy front hub bearings imo cant be fitted without a press...i tried and in the end just got a garage to fit them...removal is dead easy though lol. Though it sounds like driveshaft related based on your post.

Here's hopin it's just a c/v ya need Andy!

Cheers Solarice (Y) the wheel bearings are possible to fit mate, i watched Stani do his a little while ago...it's a case of tappety-tapping the new one in, using the old one as a block to hit...he did a 12, 6, 9, 3 pattern of strikes untill it eventually seated right in...took about ten minutes of gentle persuasion though! :wasntme:

cheers lads...................like i say am getting no play on the wheels at all. cant feel it through the steering,or braking but ya can hear it alot more at 60, and its worse when ya steering to the right than the left ( not as if ya had a bit off lock on turning a corner... more of a right hand curve at about 60...... i know these thing are hard to diagnose just by a few words typed....... things are only easy if ya know the answers

cheers andy

Did you ever sort this out andy?
Mine has the same problem no play in the wheel but a knocking that increases with speed,along with a wobble through the steering wheel.
Many thanks
broadie

Did you ever sort this out andy?
Mine has the same problem no play in the wheel but a knocking that increases with speed,along with a wobble through the steering wheel.
Many thanks
broadie

all i did was slacken the wheel bearing nut off abit ............then retightned it but not as tight..been ok since :suspect:.......mot on monday so gonna see what happens then

cheers andy

Back