welder

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
came with a 3AMP Fuse in the plug
house plug point now had it on a extension cable before
welders say it has the overheat cut out built in,but ive only stroked the rod twice and it blows fuse
trying again now,one moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

R-reg, even a small welder needs to plugged into a high quality, properly wired 13A socket with NO extension lead. They draw a heck of alot of amps and anything less than a perfect socket will tend to blow the fuse or breaker at the drop of a hat. Also, until you get a lot better, ditch the 1.6mm rods for the time being. Even 2.5 are tricky. I tend to practice with 3.2mm rods running at 80-100 amps using 6013 rods :).

Ok

somethings happening
changed fuse too 5AMP from the 3AMP it arrived with.thats probably not wise so will 3AMP it when i get some fuses
plugged it into the house plug socket direct(extension cable before) now something good seems to be happening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,report back in 5 mins

R-reg, even a small welder needs to plugged into a high quality, properly wired 13A socket with NO extension lead. They draw a heck of alot of amps and anything less than a perfect socket will tend to blow the fuse or breaker at the drop of a hat. Also, until you get a lot better, ditch the 1.6mm rods for the time being. Even 2.5 are tricky. I tend to practice with 3.2mm rods running at 80-100 amps using 6013 rods :).

cheers
complete nuevo here
click on link to see welder
low range ampage for car panels goes max 85amps on the dial

it says in the listing that it should be mains fused with 13amp (same as mine) and not 3amp (no wonder it can't handle it)
read what the manual says in specs what fuse it should have.

Can you send it back?
Arc welding is great for oil rigs, wrought Iron gates and fixing tractors, even low powered ones but MIG is better for cars.

For what you paid for the Arc, the rods and wasted material while you try for good results you could have boight a second hand MIG welder.
No striking arcs, blowing fuses or sticking rods! Just like using a very hot felt tipped pen!

it says in the listing that it should be mains fused with 13amp (same as mine) and not 3amp (no wonder it can't handle it)
read what the manual says in specs what fuse it should have.

its a very ODD manual with every model listed apart from the 111 model
manualy says reverse stick to negative if over splatter occurs

3 AMP even has a sticker on
DSC00993.jpg

2.5mm mild steel rod
DSC00995.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

1.6mm mild steel rod
DSC00996.jpg

need practice i could have sworn this bumper support was damaged but it aint ,nothing a bit off grinding wont fix
now something i wanted to tell me mate all the time back in the day "oi get this slag off me":laugh:
thanks all , this may help other no-vices too

so far as i can see its a stunning little machine and will do for what i have in mind,but yeh the other welders are like finer suits:grinning:

Can you send it back?
Arc welding is great for oil rigs, wrought Iron gates and fixing tractors, even low powered ones but MIG is better for cars.

For what you paid for the Arc, the rods and wasted material while you try for good results you could have boight a second hand MIG welder.
No striking arcs, blowing fuses or sticking rods! Just like using a very hot felt tipped pen!

so far as i can see its a stunning little machine and will do for what i have in mind,but yeh the other welders are like finer suits:grinning:

I'd also advice to get a mig more suitable for cars an arc will blow holes in 1mm steel if your welding sills and stuff! Plus so much easier to use my mig is gas and gasless just change the wire to gasless when I run out :) it's alot faster IMO
But I would say that It's been part of my job for the last 6 years to weld stuff lol

Welding looks so hard, I think im just going to stick with soldeirng (Y)

only thing hard on this machine is the mask that came with it, and as you can see i just broke my welding virginity:grinning:
it can only get better with practice

yours looks neat frank
gtsnissanb your a pro mate,thanks for the tip . i wont be doing too much advanced stuff as it goes into much larger expense

Best advice I can give you R-Reg is get an electronic self-darkening helmet from about £35 on the bay. Make welding SO much easier :grinning:.

ok mate thats good to know,i'll search one up
all advice here has been spot on 100%
i think the fuse and sticker with the 3amp on the plug is given with the unit as a sort of lesson for beginners like me

haha i have the same fuse issue all i did is put fuse wire in the plug trapped it in with the fuse i cant remember what amp the wire is but i know its a lot more than 13A it cured it anyway. the welder i got came with a 13A fuse but just kept blowing it. i also found i blew as soon as the rod stuck to the work piece.

Looks very good r reg! Deff need to get a 13A in there pronto. And as has been said, I find the auto darkening masks very easy. Don't get put off arc by what people say, they have a bad name because of the older ac models, the new dc ones look pretty good imo (havent had a blast on one yet though).

haha i have the same fuse issue all i did is put fuse wire in the plug trapped it in with the fuse i cant remember what amp the wire is but i know its a lot more than 13A it cured it anyway. the welder i got came with a 13A fuse but just kept blowing it. i also found i blew as soon as the rod stuck to the work piece.

good ,i'll go with that

Looks very good r reg! Deff need to get a 13A in there pronto. And as has been said, I find the auto darkening masks very easy. Don't get put off arc by what people say, they have a bad name because of the older ac models, the new dc ones look pretty good imo (havent had a blast on one yet though).

yeh need them auto one's
might actually see how the rod lays in and improve the stroke technique
i was trying to stab it in as it was moving along but realized it likes being stroked along gently with not any force at all,just as the friends like

Another tip for stick welding is SLOW DOWN A BIT. People tend to try and use them like felt pens :). You need to let the bead build up naturally. Also, keep the end of the rod barely out of the puddle. Also, if your welder starts making a loud noise like a 6ft wasp in a giant biscuit tin, your arc's too long :).

Back