Weight Reduction...

Stani1029

Club Member
so this is next on the list after its up and running, ive been looking up little bandits old posts and cutting everything out the doors etc is what im gonna do. im trying to find out who got his plastic windows and that if they were not needed if they were for sale? also if anyone can think of things to remove to save weight then that would be handy, so far in the car there is a steering wheel and 2 seats which is the way i want to keep it

cheers stani

im getting plastic windows made just now, so far i have 1, there bits from ma dads work so there free but take time. if they turn out good i can see about another set. but i dont know about how long

im on the same mission for anti weight as you on the white one. only other things im thinkin of is cutting the spare wheel hole out, plastik windows as you were on about, fiberglass aluminium or plastik bonnet and im gunna make up an undertray so the airflow is much smoother under the car.
and to drill out holes in most of the non structural metal parts n the car.

then im gunna hit the gym myself! hahahhaaa :D

If you get plastic windows put some sort of scratch resistant (tint) film on otherwise they'll be scratched up and it'll be like driving through fog

Plastics4Performance sell a full set (minus windscreen obviously) for the K11 for a good price!

http://www.plastics4performance.com...AN-MICRA-K11/WINDOW-KITS/c-1-288-420-424-696/

Be aware that if you remove the impact bars from the doors, it's going to be advisable to have a full cage with crossed door bars too! adding a good 60kg onto your weight.

i will be removing the door bars but as you say its only advisable to have a rollcage, doesnt mean i have to get one surely

You'd be stupid to remove all your side protection, it'd mean almost certain death in a side impact. Plus it'll make your car floppy, you won't save much weight either

You'd be stupid to remove all your side protection, it'd mean almost certain death in a side impact. Plus it'll make your car floppy, you won't save much weight either

but whos gonna come crashing into the side of me going down a 1/4 mile strip? and the bars are solid and weigh quite a bit so ive heard

If it's never going back on the road then chop chop chop, otherwise leave it in. Get lightweight wheel bolts as well. Oh you may as well remove the windcreen and put perspex there too

Attachments

• PICT0509.JPG
    PICT0509.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 455
Stani has the white super s too right? if so im sure that would be used more on the road and he'd keep the grey one for the strip. Surely all the inside of the doors weigh more than lightweight bloody wheel nuts:p. There seems to be so much critisism surrounding this car, with the mapping issues etc, only a handfull seem to appreciate the work and effort put in. Anyway rant over lol, and good luck stani(Y)

Flat_out

see the front towing hooks is where i jack the car up from, dont beleive in jacking it off the sills :p but the anti roll bars is a good idea, what kind of weight would i lose removing both of them and i shouldnt expect much bodyroll on coilovers should i? i still need to remove things like central locking, electric windows, lots of wiring thats not needed, and obviously cut things out. and on the inside the doors will be opened using string LOL

If you get plastic windows put some sort of scratch resistant (tint) film on otherwise they'll be scratched up and it'll be like driving through fog

Or just have them bonded in.

Stanni, those prices are real but need 15% VAT adding onto them. It also includes a thermo-moulded rear.

Normally ok, it's usually when people wind them up and down that scratch them up, Just remember the possible security issues. They have to be on winders or have sliders on the front sides for them to pass MOT, so if you have sliders consider possible security problem of people easily being able to reach in.

I thought it wasn't going back on the road, which is why it was ok to remove the door bars.....

Perpex windows are more brick proof though, has anyone else seen the cctv video where the hoody chucks a brick at the window, only to have it bounce back and hit him in the face, lols

ill be bonding all the windows in but keeping the rear 1/4 on there hinges because it will get flippin hot inside the car on a good day! and i wouldnt know how to make the front windows work when im cutting the panels out and binning the runners etc. only way i can think is push it into the groove but then like yous are saying they will get scratched which i dont want. im going for a slider on each of the windows :)

ok a little question, my cars rear 1/4 windows are pop-out ones. and i think the plastic ones im getting dont have the holes drilled in them so is it a simple go to the scrap yard and take a set of non pop-out window seals and fit them or should i risk drilling holes and cracking the plastic???

ok a little question, my cars rear 1/4 windows are pop-out ones. and i think the plastic ones im getting dont have the holes drilled in them so is it a simple go to the scrap yard and take a set of non pop-out window seals and fit them or should i risk drilling holes and cracking the plastic???

i just re-fitted the rubbers to my perspex ones stani, and pulled them back, in with a cord :)

ok so ill go get a set of rear 1/4 rubbers? and when i get the perspex ones fit them to the rubbers and prise them into position, also about your sunroof you made. did it work out ok?? as thats something that i have to do aswell

ok so ill go get a set of rear 1/4 rubbers? and when i get the perspex ones fit them to the rubbers and prise them into position, also about your sunroof you made. did it work out ok?? as thats something that i have to do aswell

i cut mine the same size as the glass ones stani, then fitted the rubber to the window, tucked a cord around the flange, placed it on the car and pulled the cord (and hence, the rubber) into position.
but the kit may be cut so that you bond them in instead ?
and the sunroof glass has,nt leaked yet :wasntme: (12 months now) and you shed a big chunk of weight by removing the sunroof (the AOC did a group buy of plastic blanking panels for their almera,s recently btw, but i needed mine to be clear/see-through for the solar panel tho eh)

Back