• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

the project of pain and weight

so around this time last year, i bought my second Micra. I'd not had one for a few years and the feeling of joy i had coming back to one was immeasurable! i thought £600 was a bargain.

As with any car, the first thing i did was drive it home and oh dear. the car barely drove, with the brake pedal nearly touching the floor before any pressure was felt. the car picked up slack in the steering system, and the ashtray was jam-packed full.

A transplant of brake fluid was enough to keep her going temporarily. that got me to Andrew Page's and home, to do an oil and filter change. the oil was like sludge. On the internet that night it was parts ordering time.

Some days later (bloody post office) i started to fit new hubs, wishbones and brake pads. I also removed the back seats and seatbelts.

Another few days after this, my brand new track rod ends arrived. Everything is siezed and filthy on this car. It took more than a day to fit the track-rod ends, by which time new ARB drop-link sets had arrived. Fitting these was the proverbial doddle in comparison to the siezed track-rod ends.

From this point, the car went on a crash diet. I vowed to take some weight out of her every day, even if only 10g.

I removed the airbox inlet tube and resonator pipe, and created an inlet trumpet from the port from an "ebay special" subwoofer. I left the mesh in, in consideration to EBBdudes posts.

Next, i painted the wheels white. they weren't a great job, but did very well for chipping etc. eventually these were sold (at the extortionate price of £26) to another forum member. i hope you're enjoying them Jon!

I replaced the standard 14" alloys with some Almera GTi alloys, running on 205/50/15s. big balloon but not much chance of damaging a rim!

Next, again following EBBDudes advice, i created custom copper cored HT leads, and mated them to gapped Bosch super4 spark plugs.

The next thing on the list was the exhaust. I live on a quiet road, so a "loud" exhaust was not an option. eventually, i decided on creating a custom side-exit system. I removed the back box and pipe work around the axle. i removed the exhaust at the intersection between mid-silencer and 2nd cat, to weld straight pipe on. the pipe doesn't quite stick out te side and so is quite hidden.

I then bought an adjustable (up to 10Bar it says) fuel pressure regulator. This wasn't exactly easy to fit, but once complete looks great on a custom adaptor and mount. I started with 5Bar pressure, 200% of standard fuel pressure. there were severe running issues here, so i brought it down to 4Bar, and eventually to 3.25Bar. This is still a 30% increase.

Weight-saving update. The car at this point had no rear seats, no carpet at all, no radio, no interior plastics, door cards etc. a few weeks later, the dash came out.

I then bought poly-bushes for the wishbones. It took literally hours to fit both pairs (well ok the car was off the road for 4 days) but once on the difference was astounding. I immediately ordered a mix of hard and softer bushes from strongflex, poland. I was sceptical about buying such long distance on ebay, but the parts turned up only 2 days after payment cleared. thats service!

Having fitted the wishbone bushes, at a hardness of 80A, i fitted front ARB bushes of the same hardness, and drop-link bushes of 90A hardness. The rear ARB also has 90A hardness bushes.

I also lowered the car the clever pikey way. i measured the spring length on the car with and without static sag, and then off the car full length. working out the ratio of extention, the car has been lowered 35mm all round, with an extra 1/4 turn of spring removed on the front (equivalent to approx 2.5mm).

I have relocated my power steering reservoir to the bulkhead, and i have a remote crankcase breather filter.

Thats about it for now. the car weighs 103Kgs less than when i got it (to be weighed on March 2nd) and is significantly quicker. will get decent pics at some point but cam is playing up.

Next set of work to be done is engine work. Increase compression ratio, cams, lightweight flywheel, bike carbs gutted out as throttle bodies and an unique inlet plenum, but thats a secret!

Theres an engine transplant on the cards as well, but again, i'm keeping it a closely guarded secret!

will get some better pics when its nice and sunny..... and when she's clean.... and the door paint is better................... and so on.....................................

well i've been to Oulton Park today and used their car scales..... more pain....... it turns out that the weight of a micra 1.3 Si isn't, as Mr. Haynes suggests 800Kg.

I've removed a documented 102.140Kg from the car and it now weighs........ 796Kg

i'm off now to cut off anything un-necessary..... back in a week!

Si/SR are a lot heavier thanks to all the extra parts/trim/wiring. I think the lighter K11 setup would be a L 1.0Lreg without any option then do a 1.3 engine swap

mine had been in crash so no front driving lights... even so, the original weight looks to be 898Kgs. can't imagine even the highest spec micra is 98Kg heavier than stated. manufacturers lie about weights all the time anyway so i knew it would be inaccurate.

mine was 720kg on the local council weighbridge tom, thats a non sunroof povspec 1.0 with a LOT of stuff cut off

yeah Frank, i was expecting similar or a touch less than that to be honest. i do have a sunroof though (next to go i think). in all honesty i'm not that bothered about the overall weight, because its more satisfying to look at the pile of stuff you've taken out!

i don't actually know whats still original on the car. on numberplate checkers its an Si, but the boot badge says SE. i know the front bumper and drivers wing had been replaced. just wonder what else got swopped......

mine was 720kg on the local council weighbridge tom, thats a non sunroof povspec 1.0 with a LOT of stuff cut off
on cutting out and cutting off a bit on the micra.......will i be able to remove spare wheel well up to where the tank straps mount?? thats inbetween the chassis...me old nova had this done but back axle totaly different...if a put a inch x inch brace between chassis legs where the panhard rod mounts to chassis u recon will be ok??????

on cutting out and cutting off a bit on the micra.......will i be able to remove spare wheel well up to where the tank straps mount?? thats inbetween the chassis...me old nova had this done but back axle totaly different...if a put a inch x inch brace between chassis legs where the panhard rod mounts to chassis u recon will be ok??????
dunno, here,s some of what i did :) http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=64865

By the time you cut the wheel well out & put a brace & skin back in you'll probly end up with more weight than you started with id think... if you want a light back end cut the whole back end away ditch the axel & stick in wishbones with a small hub and bike brakes..

Autograss style :)

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/pierear2.htm (this kind of thing)

By the time you cut the wheel well out & put a brace & skin back in you'll probly end up with more weight than you started with id think... if you want a light back end cut the whole back end away ditch the axel & stick in wishbones with a small hub and bike brakes..

Autograss style :)

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/pierear2.htm (this kind of thing)
yeh lol your probably right......would luv to go the autograss way but its time n money....plus am crap at mechanics n fabrication :(

just as a guide as to how wrecked my micra was when i first got it. theres a tyre in that album with most of the wires showing on the outside...... this is what had happened after a 60mph 90 mile drive from manchester to coventry. i drove very slowly all the way home......

Seriously it was 2.3 kg lighter than the standard? I expected a bit but not that much!! I should've kept it!

heres a picture of the black weight weenie next too me comparatively tank like red fatty.
2012-02-29174519.jpg

2012-02-29174437.jpg

Just too spur some interest.

i gotta do my lights like yours man. think i prefer my towing hook though. i think it looks better on an angle! yeah the steering wheel is fantastic. the only problem is when flashing my main beams, the stalk hits the wheel. i can live with that!!! you've got some lightweight on me though, no midlines on your grilles!

i really have to get round to washing her properly!

getting round to it. she's had a wash (gasp!) and just needs polishing inside and out! then i gotta fit the rear brace. then, i promise piccys!

more pain today. passenger side ARB drop link snapped. it only took me half hour to fix but was time i needed to be working on my brothers car really. now i've gotta replace the drivers side one as well due to paranoia.....

to be honest mate i'd rather meet you somewhere than post them. post office is a ballache near me, the line is always 30 people long all over 75 trying to buy a ltd edition stamp that disappeared 25 years ago........

Today i've had a set of 195/50/15 toyo T1-Rs fitted to my almera rims. Result, theres no more scrubbing. i can finally achieve full lock on 15s. my previous tyres allowed only 1.25 turns each way before scrubbing the metalwork on the inside of the arch.

Back