Ways to stop windscreen sqeeking??

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Basically what is the best way to stop my windscreen sqeeking, any tips on what I should use to clean it?

It makes a racket when using the wipers and is starting to get annoying. I think there must be some sort of grease on the window itself.

The blades are fairly new, and its not them as I switched the front and back ones and they still made a racket.

So any tips on what I should use to clean it up? Tried normal washing, glass cleaner etc.

scottish-sr said:
Another constructive reply from you Ben :p

I could do that, but it isnt much good when you realise your about to hit a tree.

ah but u wudnt realise u were about to hit it though would ya :p

nah but seriosuly, try cleaning the wiper blades themselves with kitchen roll, best i can offer, i use to have this problem with my k11 and boy did it grind on me! It just came and went as it pleased

Big_ben said:
nah but seriosuly, try cleaning the wiper blades themselves with kitchen roll, best i can offer, i use to have this problem with my k11 and boy did it grind on me! It just came and went as it pleased

Tried cleaning them up, they did have some much on them, but went over them loads and it stil does it. This started just with one wee section of the windscreen, now its the whole thing. Then it went away, now its back grr

clean your wipers with vineger an kitchen roll, wash your car with normal car shampoo - not the wash and wax stuff and get AutoGlym glass polish, works a treat for squeeky wipers and its also good when the rain hits ur windscreen! Does smell a bit tho lol

Daz :alien:

Add some screen wash to your water bottle, just squirt a bit whenever its squeeking, this works great for me.

Also, windscreen wipers tend to squeek/judder when theres not enough water underneath them when the rain is very light. So again, add some more water by squirting.

Wiping the blades with newspaper always works for me - leaves behind a tiny bit of ink that helps to grease the wipers. Have you changed the wiper arms recently?

I tightened the nut too much when I changed em on another car and the arm's spring was really stiff, so it pressed too hard and caused really bad squeakage.

Another thing that you can look at is replacing the windscreen.

I'm not sure why its not considered a common replacement item like tyres. It really should be as it is a very high wear item. Everytime you drive its getting blasted by dirt in the air, scraped by the wipers, etc. Replacing the windscreen on my last N14 was the best and safest thing I ever did to it. Visibility was sooo much better! Plus I got one of those tinted top bits. :)

how about polish...somthing that doesnt make the rubber go white, mer i think i used last time seemed to work...but then i also washed the whole car with it, so maybe a bit of 50/50 work going on.

I got "demon shine" on my windscreen once. Never again. :laugh:

you could try sunflower oil, but that would just make a mess.

and as we are on the topic of windcreens, if frost is expected rub a half onion on your screen, and the next morning it'll be frost free

Demarest said:
and as we are on the topic of windcreens, if frost is expected rub a half onion on your screen, and the next morning it'll be frost free

However you won't be able to see anything anyway through the tears streaming from your eyes! :eek:

Turtle said:
However you won't be able to see anything anyway through the tears streaming from your eyes! :eek:

lol :laugh:

From dumbfacts.com

Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying!

i sometimes use "rain clear", that helps get the water off the screen quicker

i used to have that problem and taking back to dealer suggested that the blade arm itself wasnt positioned correctly. DIY wise, try to remove and re-install the whole thing or take it someone who knows how

I think the problem on mine is because they are too tight,
The torqe wrench setting for wipers is 5Nm, but my tourqe wrench doesnt go that low.

Layla said:
vinegar is great for cleaning your mirrors too.

see, women and their householdhints are useful :p

WIll Have to try this sometime,

I usually can't be bothered, I just wipe them with a random item of clothing when it rains!!

Turtle said:
Add some screen wash to your water bottle, just squirt a bit whenever its squeeking, this works great for me.

Also, windscreen wipers tend to squeek/judder when theres not enough water underneath them when the rain is very light. So again, add some more water by squirting.

Thats what i do!

I think the wipers may also squeak if they need replacing, or the wiper arms are bent.

Have you checked the the mechanism under the scuttle plate?
My squeaky wiper was because the metal rod linking to the bar underneath had munched its way through the plastic housing - though the big give away for this is that the wiper arm wont stay flush ( mine chiped away the paint of the bonnet! )

Have you checked the the mechanism under the scuttle plate?
My squeaky wiper was because the metal rod linking to the bar underneath had munched its way through the plastic housing - though the big give away for this is that the wiper arm wont stay flush ( mine chiped away the paint of the bonnet! )

thats must whats been wrong with mine

It could be that the wiper arm needs re-greasing. I have the smae trouble and after speaking to my farther he said the old K11 had the same problem.

Try stripping the arms now and cleaning them up.

Back