Noisy windscreen wiper rubbers ??

The windscreen wipers are making a hell of a noise when it rains and i have to use them, are there any tips to stop the noise? its the rubber making the noise on the windscreen, is there any way to remove that high pitched squeaky noise ??

Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Try removing the wiper(s)...lift the cover at the base of the arm, undo the nut and take the entire wiper arm off, then wiggle the black grommet/cover that sits under the wiper arm off, and batter the underlying bits with WD-40 or light oil.

That stopped mine from squealing

Try removing the wiper(s)...lift the cover at the base of the arm, undo the nut and take the entire wiper arm off, then wiggle the black grommet/cover that sits under the wiper arm off, and batter the underlying bits with WD-40 or light oil.

tesco £1.49 wiper are a good choice :)

Had an awful noise coming from our wipers and thought it was the actual blades. When I bought a new set and it persisted - I did exactly this and now I have squeak-free wiping (Y)

trial and error eh!...lift the arms up off the windscreen and stick the wipers on, if it squeaks, it aint the blades...(from my own trial/error experience :doh:)

another thing to try

I too tried blads, arms and even began to suspect an imperfection in the glass as the screen had been replaced a few years ago. I inspected further and found that the spindle was very sloppy due to a worn shroud under the rubber boot. Cut to size a piece of flexible plastic, wrap it around the damaged shroud and secure it with a tie wrap or two to keep the spindle in its position in the seat.
The squeak I had since owning the car stopped instantly!

what if it is the blades? and the blades are new and installed correctly and you get that annoying thud thud thud on the way up but not on the way down! :(

what if it is the blades? and the blades are new and installed correctly and you get that annoying thud thud thud on the way up but not on the way down! :(

Cheap wiper blades can give an irritating squeaking, I had to fit a set of new champion wipers to get rid of the squeaks

I had a noisy wiper problem a few weeks ago, bought new wiper blades to no avail, then noticed that the squeak continued when the left side wiper was lifted slightly away from the glass, while the right side wiper was raised completely. Removed the weather shield under the bonnet and sprayed the wiper linkage liberally with 3-in-1 bike oil, and the noise went away :D

i put glass polish on my front windshield, makes the water bead on it. i have to say it is the biggest regret of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!
The water beads so well that the window even in heavy rain wont stay wet enough to let the wipers move along the window nicely, and they jump and thud on the way up and down! Because the window needs to be good and wet for the wipers to do their thing properly...
So i cleaned the front screen with white spirit (turpentine) and it stripped the polish, no more juddery wipers :D this is a cheap fix, chance it :D

Back