water leak inlet manifold

My wife's 1.0 K10 (K reg) sprang a leak and it seemed to be coming from underneath the carb. I took off the air filter and as the hoses were OK I deduced it was probably coming from one of the two joints between the carb and the inlet manifold. I wasn't even aware there was water circulating there and my Haynes manual is a little sketchy on the topic. Anyway I popped them off, cleaned up, and applied some red instant gasket. I have been letting it set overnight and now... I am wondering if I should have used a proper gasket instead. Any views? Thanks.

BTW this is the second leak it has sprung.. it ruptured a top radiator hose a couple of weeks back... and I am now wondering if I have an underlying water pressure problem.

it circulates in there to heat the carb for cold days i think. i asked at motorfactors and they cant get those gaskets anymore just gave me sheests of gasket paper. nissan will prob be able to supply them.

try a full flush out if it hasent been done recently and put the correct mix back in

Change the rad cap if you think that, it may just be old. Nissan do make a dedicated gasket seal for that area, although I have manged to seal it fine with gasket sealent in the past.

Speedle used gasket paper on mine, only cost 50p and took about 20 minutes to make

Phil_the_Chill said:
My wife's 1.0 K10 (K reg) sprang a leak and it seemed to be coming from underneath the carb. I took off the air filter and as the hoses were OK I deduced it was probably coming from one of the two joints between the carb and the inlet manifold. I wasn't even aware there was water circulating there and my Haynes manual is a little sketchy on the topic. Anyway I popped them off, cleaned up, and applied some red instant gasket. I have been letting it set overnight and now... I am wondering if I should have used a proper gasket instead. Any views? Thanks.

BTW this is the second leak it has sprung.. it ruptured a top radiator hose a couple of weeks back... and I am now wondering if I have an underlying water pressure problem.

give me your address phil and i will send you the two gaskets as i have loads of them and dont use them

Thanks for the tips. It is assembled already Bob.. but if my fix blows I will be happy to take you up on your kind offer. I am interested in the idea that my rad cap could cause overpressure.. is this because it won't lift and relieve the pressure into the expansion reservoir? Hmmmm maybe I should get a new one. This car is developing a history of coolant problems. Meanwhile my own k10 still has a grumbling gearbox.. but with a new hoist off eBay I hope to yank it out and give it the once over.
Cheers

Back