I have a coolant leak...

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Hi

i have just changed the head gasket on my super s, every things back on and running but i have noticed i have medium sized coolant leak, it is dripping off the sump flange under the exhaust manifold, i cannot see any water coming out of the water pump on the cam belt side, i also cannot see any coming from the water pump inlet metal pipe so i dont know where it is coming from, all i seem to get is problems at the moment and its really getting me down :(

anyway ideas would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Steve

the joys of motoring eh steve :doh:
you might need to remove the cambelt cover and wipe it down, then leave it running while you shine a torch on it

yep, thats the plan for tomorrow, i must admit i am very tempted to sell the super s, not that its unreliable as its never let me down but just one thing after another, with both cars, i just want a standard car now that i can drive to work,

one more thing, how is the inlet pipe for the water pump held in, incase this joint is leaking?

its just got an o-ring on it and are known to go, had 2 go on mine.

ok thanks for that superls, this is the correct side to where it looks like the coolant is leaking, i cant see any inside the cam cover but will look more closely tomorrow when its a bit lighter, do you know where i can get an o ring for this or something similar?

Steve

i think it was either from the water pump or the timing tensioner stud as i had this out. I think this because there was a lot of blue coolant in the little half pipe where the cam belt goes on the crank at the bottom, i have sealed and replaced both ;)

Steve

right adding insult to injury here the cam belt tensioner bolt that was dodgy before has now well and truely had it on the part that goes into the head, the car which i normally use to get to work has now been off the road since last thursday and ive been working on it every night, not only this the o ring on the water pump inlet IS leaking and cannot find an o ring for it.

Ive right at this second had enough, but still smiling i suppose :)
rant over, anyone with any help?

Thanks

Steve

haha might go and look at that frank cheers,

any ideas on what to do about the tensioner thread as its really got me stumped.

haha might go and look at that frank cheers,

any ideas on what to do about the tensioner thread as its really got me stumped.

you,ll be fine steve :)
just "back off" that m10 tap loooaaads of times (ally clogs taps very easy, and if it jams it wont come out without snapping :doh:)

yeh i know the feeling we tap m5 threads in tungsten dies at work and when they start to squeak and judder, you know its close to game over and start up the spark eroder to get a broken tap out :D

i dont think my back can take any more this week as i am in bed with a hot pad on my back at the moment so i will see at the weekend

when i broke down due to the waterpump the mechanic who fixed it actually snapped a bolt dont know if its anywhere near the same one as yours but he did manage to sort it and he was a mobile mechanic, so im sure you will sort it out!
good luck steve! (Y)

when i broke down due to the waterpump the mechanic who fixed it actually snapped a bolt dont know if its anywhere near the same one as yours but he did manage to sort it and he was a mobile mechanic, so im sure you will sort it out!
good luck steve! (Y)

Im not feeling very optimistic at the moment :)

Water pump O-Ring sorted i hope with an O-Ring from ALDI!! thanks frank! :D

New water pump has been fitted, tapped the tensioner to M10 and getting an M10 to M8 stud so i dont have to mess with the tensioner, i undid the three engine mounts and lowered it down on a jack so i could get it to the right position leaving the gearbox mount on as a hinge :D Should be sorted by end of play today

Steve

yay! good news for some miserable weather is out there today and im gonna attempt rear suspension!
have some happy micra days (Y)

well finished the rear today - Awesome is the only way i can describe it (Y) besides i have many more engine jobs to do lol

Back