Water Injection

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
i've been reading up on autospeed about water injection options...yes lookout peoples :p Can mighty, white knight and others shed some light on their setups/experiences, some do's and dont's?

i have some questions to kick off:

1. are you lads using a boost pressure setup, or running it of the airflow meter output voltage with a controller/computer?

2. Where is the injector fitted?

3. how much water do you use per tank of petrol and what boost pressure/engine load does it cut in at?

4. i think your both using off the shelf kits, which ones?, any I should aviod?

reason im asking is i'm thinking of doing away with the intercooler all together. i have read water injection restores the power one would have without any heatsoak i.e. like having ambient air entering when its spraying. hence works just as good as the intercooler, but at lower cost, see i must have a nice smoothed in in bonnent scoop above the topmount(keeping AC) and that's going to boot up the price, along with custom mounting brackets. going water injection i can do a family hack, just have low boost 4-5psi until i get funds to add in the water injection and bump up too 7-10psi.

also does the micra AFM output a voltage 0-5v or a frequency singal?

thanks in advance,

Alex

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Alex mine is a Spearco unit ex USA. It works off pressure and cuts in around 8 psi.Activated by a Hobbs switch
The spray nozzle is mounted just prior to the throttle body( hot wire in Micra running standard throttle body set up)
My resevoir holds about 1.2 ltrs of water ( well 50/50water metho.)
As it cuts in only on demand I only refill about on average after 4 tanks of fuel. Guess it depends on how long I spend above 8psi.
My nozzle is very small and from what I can ascertain from the literature it sprays a mist of around 4/6 microns.Nozzle size I.D. is .016"( inch)
I will look up the literature when I get home tonight but I have a funny feeling they do not make em anymore.
Benefit?? As I have just reconnected after the last upgrade cannot comment as yet.
It would be cooling the incoming air no doubt about that, helping with a cleaner burn,cleaner engine and be intersting after next dyno run see if there is any sort of spike after 8psi as the water/metho mix should be doing something.
They also say helps fuel economy but hard to judge as it would only have some benefit above 8psi.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Alex,

I'm using the CoolingMist system that you can find on the coolingperformance.com site

First let me say that the customer service that Jordan gives is second to none. He looked after me VERY well.

The system I'm using at the moment is good for around 21psi with no intercooler at all. Its activated by a pressure switch (hobbs switch) to activate at 2psi at the moment as I have no bonnet scoop. When I get the bonnet scoop in we're going to retune it for around 7psi.

I'd recommend getting even a small i/c though. I was going to take this route but it is a bit annoying not being able to boost at all if you ever run out of water (trust me... hardly anyone in Canberra sells distilled water)

The CoolingMist system is DAMN good. All brass fittings, a nice quality pump and very durable switches etc.. I researched for around 6 months and found this was the best system you can get basically. I wired it all up myself (comprehensive instructions came with it)

The nozzle is located right after the turbine exit (as close to the turbo as possible in the intake stream). The further away from the throttle body the better the chance that the water vaporises evenly.

I probably go through around 2 tanks of water to 1 tank of fuel purely because I have no I/C and thats with moderate amount of boosting too (I have an 8L water tank in the boot) but that should halve or even more with the i/c vent.

With mine, even during a couple of hot days in a row my intake temps never went above 3 degrees above ambient.

I'd highly recommend the CoolingMist system but I hear the Spearco one is serving Dave well too..

Sean

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
If I had found the coolingmist system when I was searching would have gone for it. Same set up as the Spearco but at that time went Spearco as the resevoir tank was included and made from alloy and not a plastic one.
Mine going fine no issues but my application different to Seano as I run an intercooler and mine activated at 8psi.
Yes the electric pump is tiny and a wiper motor pump off any car would more than do the job.
If I was not so lazy it is something you could build yourself at very little cost. Plenty of web sites showing how to build one.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Yeah the kit I have is great.

I actually used a different container than the one that was supplied (although the one thats supplied is fine)

My pump is 100psi but you can get 150psi and 200psi if you're running a dual stage system (not recommended for small capacity cars)

Honestly Alex, you won't go wrong with water injection

I've just got to hook up a fuel guage sender to mine with a light so I know when the waters getting low

Sean

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
the afm is 0-5V.... really?... thats across the pink wire from the throttle body and 0V, right? i attempted to measure this with me multimeter and get milli volts.... things like this r hard to do with out wire diagrams..... if it is 0-5v i will be very happy.... just which wires? thnx aaron

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
excellent, thanks david, thanks aaron, thanks seano.

So does the Spearco or the cooling mist setup vary the cc/min of water being injected? Autospeed kinda diss the boost switch idea because the flow rate dosn't change and it need to change in proportion to the airflow. So using the 0-5v line from the AFM a motor speed controller and a quality pump and nozzle the motor speed controller will vary the 12v from the input of 0-5v and hence deliver more accurate water supply. Rather than the same continous amount reguardless if your at 3000rpm or 6000rpm. Or do your guys ones vary teh flow, i can't seem to find it saying anywhere that it does, only that they hav an adjustable boost switch,

thanks again,

Alex

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Mine would be constant. As mine only works at 8 psi upwards you would be correct in saying say at 12psi the water/metho mix is less per volume of incoming air.
To me best set up would work off air temp just pre intake manifold but would also neeed some referance to revs.
You would have warm air if sitting at idle in a traffic jam but under these conditions would you need it to be working?

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Mine's constant as well although you can vary the flow rate from the actual pump.

When I was running the engine in, my mechanic set it up so that it would put out the spark at around 4500rpm. So even though its a fixed flow rate you can adjust the pressure on the actual pump.

I wouldn't worry too much about variable relays/pumps until you really start pushing the envelope

Sean

Back