Injection control unit

Hello all. Have just joined the club. I have a problem, and would be grateful for some advice. Had the Micra about 4 months. It's a K11 1.3 1999 model Inspiration, mileage 60k. Have changed spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, new oil and filter change. Bought it on Ebay. Have just discovered there is fuse missing from fuse box ( the one in the engine compartment). Haynes has it as fuse FA, 10 amp which supplies power to the injection unit. Mpg is about 27 to gallon. With no power to it, I guess the whole management system must have been knocked out!! About 3 weeks ago the engine idle speed increased way too much. I adjusted the idle screw on the side of the unit. This slowed the idle a bit, but it wont now tick over until it's warmed up. Then just when it gets up to temperature, the idle goes up just a little too high. So whether I might have knackered anything (maybe the cat?) I don't know. I have just put a 10 amp fuse in and it does run. The next day or so I'll give it a bit of a thrashing to try and get any crap out of the system, but if the idle speed problem is still there than I'm stumped. Forgot to mention there is nothing wrong with the performance, as it goes like stick. Please let me have your thoughts.

hi jbopow

which screw did you adjust ?, because there are a few :glance:
there,s the fast idle screw on the waxstat, a cable stop screw and an air bleed on the rear corner.
maybe your original problem was an idle control valve fault ?

Hiya Frank, I think it was the idle screw on the corner. I used an alan key. Even with the screw taken right in I couldn't get the idle to slow down enough. The other thing you mention, would that be the auxiliary air valve? I read somewhere on the internet the aav might be the problem. I took it off and squirted it all over with carb clean, but there did'nt seem to be a problem with it as it was. The resistance readings, between terminal 2-3 and 3-4 was just under 100 ohms, and Haynes say it should be between 50-100 ohms.

Hiya Frank, I think it was the idle screw on the corner. I used an alan key. Even with the screw taken right in I couldn't get the idle to slow down enough. The other thing you mention, would that be the auxiliary air valve? I read somewhere on the internet the aav might be the problem. I took it off and squirted it all over with carb clean, but there did'nt seem to be a problem with it as it was. The resistance readings, between terminal 2-3 and 3-4 was just under 100 ohms, and Haynes say it should be between 50-100 ohms.

yeh, the allen key one is the airbleed (it bypasses the butterfly) and it,s the one that haynes says is the tickover screw eh, perhaps your maf needs resoldering then ? :)

I wondered that, about the maf. I have the instructions for the resoldering job saved on the pc. So, give the car a thrashing, then do the soldering job and see then where I'm at, is about the best thing to do ?

from my experience with Vauxhalls, if the idle sped goes up and the engine runs rich as well as you are getting poor milegae, then it could be your engine temperature sensor that has gone haywire, as it tell the injector control (or your ECU) that your engine is still cold and so it sends longer injection pulses or in other words over fuels as it should when the engine is cold, as during cold start the engine needs enriched fuelling, so if this CTS as is known in vauxhalls (coolant temperature sensor) which may be called something different in Nissans is not working properly then the injectors will not revert to normal fueling and so your engine will not idle at normal revs and thats probably why it is running fast due to enriched fuelling and so giving you poor mileage.

(Sorry but I don't actually have any firts hand experience with Micras' engines)

Back