Wanted: Steelies

The wezt sides twenty of em with just rides :) sorry.
go to alperton lane scrappers.they probably got the 16 inch Renault steels with correct pcd and central bore.fill the arch out sort of thing.

Probably got a few with an assortment of tyres on, also got some used knobblies in 13" which would be ideal for your rally car (if i have the right person.

How many steelies do you want?

Thanks!

I'm after 5 steelies, ideally in 13s... essentially need a second set of tyres for the European section of the rally.

It's a lot of work to swap tyres out on the roadside after you've shredded the previous set... or because you are going from deep sand to a rocky bit... 16 nuts are much easier to change ;)

Matt - thanks, that would be very appreciated!

Frank - again, you're right, but if the steelies bend/buckle (inevitable) then I'm pretty screwed if I don't have enough spares... you can only hammer them out that many times...

i think you will bend a wishbone before a rim personally m (going by the rally guy,s experience) and you will probably go for weeks without any problems then get 3 punctures in 1 day ! a fitting kit with spare tyres and some mushroom patches per convoy/team is more flexible
and you could stuff 50 bog rolls into the tyres, for when you get the ****s from that dodgy food :D

Frank, this was taken on one of the Saharan rallies I did a while back. This was the only repairable wheel that got bent by potholes, all the others we couldn't sort out.

To give you an idea of the roads that create this sort of damage, this was the "new" "highway" between Mauri and Mali:
potholes.jpg

The blue/silver merc in the picture was mine.

This on the other hand was taken (not by me) on a previous mongol rally
070719_mongolia1_bcol_12p.grid-4x2.jpg

M<

what plans have you got regarding wishbones M ? because if the roads are gonna buckle the wheels like that ^ the wishbones wont stand a chance !

frank - funny you mention that. My previous car is sitting somewhere outside Timbuktu (by my guesstimates, we were about 80 miles out) with two bent wishbones :p (well, technically one bent one and one "unbent" one - there's a lot you can do with a car jack, including unbending wishbones)

Ok, it's probably been salvaged by the new owner by now and turned into a taxi (in fact, I know it has - seen it in tourist pictures, still with my rally stickers on! apparently a travel agency there uses it as a novelty tourist transport)

I was going to bring a set of spare wishbones, but now I'm thinking maybe just a few welding rods. If I kill the wishbones, I can "unbend" them again, but this time weld a metal rod to them to give them stiffness again. (last "unbent" one would rebend way to easily).

Not totally decided yet tbh, will find out this/next weekend when I pack the car. It's all dependent on space/weight.... gotta keep space for the bare necessities, like the 30ft flagpole, a photo printer and my collection of crystal penis-enlargment pumps.

Really well! It's getting back that was hard...

I've been meaning to post a long thread on what happened, but I'm waiting to finish removing the dust from the pictures first (there was a dust spec on my sensor which is now on every single picture I've taken!!!).

Proudest moment for the micra was dealing beautifully after I tried showing off... and drove into a lake. The engine (and snorkel) coped brilliantly, and not a drop of water entered the engine. Surprisingly, the ECU still works even though I was sitting in water up to my waist.... and thinking "f**k. I've really screwed up this time". We did have to get towed out (I turned the engine off when the water reached my waist INSIDE the car... was worried of hydrolocking it all), but after a half-and-hour in the sun, it was all good to go (not so much our passports, documents, and electronics, all of which were ruined).

Also very proud of her offroad... never got stuck, and she rescued a stranded Panda 4x4 in Turkmenistan.

Though you were right on the exhaust pipe... I hit a rock in the Pamirs between Tajikistan and Afghanistan, and we lost our exhaust pipe... duct taped it to the roof, and kept going as it nothing was wrong. In Uzbekistan, a helpful MSF volunteer brought us to a welder, who stopped having his dinner to reweld out exhaust on. He didn't want to get paid either!

M.

Back