Wanted: CG13 (1.3) k11 engine

will do frank, though tomorrows gonna be forcasted rain so may expect some rain-face expressions. sulur my m8's bbq party will be moved to sunday prob cos of rain so i could help ya out through saturday rather than rushing around on sunday ;)

Oh no not rain!, although I dont mind working in rain at all (I dnt have a garage to work in either). Yeh any help would be ace! I think i could get the engine in there all connected up by the end of tomarrow (fingers crossed). Only problem is there are piles of nuts and bolts all over. lol!

you got a spare brolly?
guess i'll have to find some waterproofs to wear.

unless ur a memory recollection champion, a useful habit to learn after screws/bolts are removed to take a part off is to screw em back in place so there's minimal chance of losing or forgetting which bolt goes where.
when its not possible, put em in labeled bags.
keeping things organised makes reassembly more efficient.

I didnt realise how many nuts and bolts there would be, but i did eventually start to do as you said, put them back into there place, so the main ones shoul be there. Dont forget, im still a noob :p

i started out as noob too. tinkering about more, asking, posting, reading, sometimes making mistakes.and sharing the learnt knowledge

For future ref, i find that a piece of card is usefull, you can push the bolts and other bits through it and lable them on the card.
Good luck with this guys! mucho respecto to Pollyp, obviousely a top bloke!
Looking forward to the progress reports :D

Pollyp, Top bloke (Y)

Managed to get the engine in and running today, its a shame though seems like its smoking abit. May be due to a dodgey head gasket. pics and update to come!

good to hear this
got to admit people here on this forum do help and are ready if you pull your finger out yourself cause lets face it if your not botherd why should anyone else be
waiting on the pics you must have had fun

Definatly.

We had fun, abit stressy with the rain :( but got there in the end, Fingers crossed the new gasket does the job. Was abit smokey before (water getting in).

Pollyp, top bloke (Y). Very hard worker!. just putting all the pictures together. Should be uploaded soon!

Definatly.

We had fun, abit stressy with the rain :( but got there in the end, Fingers crossed the new gasket does the job. Was abit smokey before (water getting in).

Pollyp, top bloke (Y). Very hard worker!. just putting all the pictures together. Should be uploaded soon!

yeh mate i know your going through abit at the moment but them pics are still well worth seing at least for a learner like me

hey sulur. back home now and completely drained mentally & physically. i've never worked so hard & long before (except when i first swapped and engine for the first time within a week on after-works hours). so sorry it didn't work out, tis a shame after all that effort :(
thanks for ur help n patience and thanks to ur 2 brothers too, they've been smashin
did a quick enquire for ya on the engine at 247spares and first lot says bout £200+ :eek:
i'm sure someone in here or local scrappies will have a good one
will the car be ok parked without the clutch end bracket? could grab one from local scraps
good luck m8

I'm glad you got home safely. The car should be fine where it is, if I need to move I'll just grab the clutch clip out of mine :p. I must admit It was intence work. I will post pictures as soon as I'm on the computer.

seems abit dear for an engine, Ill keep a look out on the forum for anyone breaking a 1.3 micra.

Pics people!

This is the first stage, the swap.

IMG_0122.jpg

DSC02489-1.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

DSC02491.jpg

Tried it and it smoked, although the engine ran smooth.

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

After putting it back in, we tried it in the morning and it didnt work again! more smoke more coolant. So we tried a final time to change the gasket and use my old head.

I dont have any more pics of the final try, i think we just wanted it to work

here's the pics from me phone

Saturday
arrived at sulurs with bare engine in morning. his engine was out too making the process easier.
fitted pickup & sump and other bits from his engine. heavy rain didn't help
DSC02488..JPG

lowered engine in
DSC02489..JPG

mounted, only hook up battery & oil pressure sensor to check there's oil pressure. crank for few secs oil light goes out, job done. had to jet off at 5pm for me m8s bday and let sulur & brother finish off the reassembly
DSC02490..JPG DSC02491..JPG

7.30 had a txt from sulur the engine was assembled, started but smoked alot. damn. arranged to get new head gasket in morning cos i remember it's been reused and googled that they shouldn't.

Sunday
got new £40 gasket set from only car part place open. went to m8s bday bbq at 1pm to 7pm. then went straight to sulur at 8 to change the gasket.
photo the chain before removing cams
DSC02494..JPG DSC02495..JPG DSC02492..JPG

cams off
DSC02497..JPG DSC02496..JPG

head off
DSC02498..JPG

gave both block & head surface a good degrease & dry with brake cleaner & tissue

fit new gasket. its graphite type gasket which i never used before.
DSC02499..JPG

head torqued up, cams in, all hooked up ready. twas into silly hours at 2am and time to sleep cos not good idea to start engine at middle of the night and we're both wrecked.

Monday
DSC02500..JPG
all setup, started engine nervously, it runs. datascan reads all normal at first, fires smoothly. but then as it warms up to starts to idle roughly and smoke a little. rev engine and it smokes under load, radiator bubbles too when revved. engine heats up after awhile beyond 82deg, fan spins at 97deg. FFS
in datascan i cut off each cylinder and each one behaves the same, as though all the cylinders are mid-misfiring unequally and at ramdom.
looking in the plugs, pistons 1+2 are wet. compression test show 12bars equally between em.

ok what if my original head was too pitted and sulurs head is little smoother, so we though of swapping the heads and replace the unbranded valves on his head with mine. got new gasket £15 and valve compressor £45.
head off. unbranded valves off. swap over only cylinder 2 valves. the bloomin graphite gasket fell apart and left a soft mess on the block. took ages to scrape and clean off. as we cleaned the head surface all the valve buckets fell out so had to put em back in at random, so the valve gap tolerances r kinda muddled but they're roughly correct.

DSC02505..JPG

new gasket looks more stable than graphite. torqued up head and cams, all hooked up. started smooth n fine initially then runs rough when warm AH FFS! compression test is 11.8, 12, 12.2, 12.8 bars

almost given up, i try to swap the dizzy, leads, fuel rail from my car. same problem when warm, rough running, wet cylinders, high temps

nothing more i could do, twas beyond me. getting real late cos i had work tomorrow and have to drive back home 3.5hrs away.

got in car to drive sulur to atm to give back £140 when all the sudden as we move 1metre back the car went BANG! and the car rocked n stopped. omg wth! F!!!!
the clutch pedal went down and gear is stuck. look underneath the clutch cable end pin had sheared off sending the clutch arm springing back enough to jam it . ah crap i need to get home. try to wriggle the arm back and it kinda got there, slipped an allen key in the clutch bracket to replace the broken pin and at least the clutch still works. sulur grabbed the bracket from the his black SR fitted on mine and clutch is working again but that was scary. the clutch on sulurs SR with an exedy clutch plate in comparison is so much lighter. i think my pressure plate is too heavy.

paid sulur and got back home eventually

jeez what a drama of a weekend

I've given a couple on eBay an email. How do I go about checking if the engines ok without havnt to view it first ?

at least getting em from scrap you can exchange if dodgy
west london breakers alperton lane try search em strange seems theyr slowly becoming extinct
realy enjoyed the pics - big respects to you and "THE MAN" forthe effort seen here

Thanks mate. Im still looking around.

Bump, if anyone still has a 1.3? or planning to break one. I dont want it sitting around any longer, but i also dont want to rush things,

Back