Want to Cry

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
New 1.3 Engine. Go to clean oil off it and take each spark plug lead out. and number 1 lead is full of oil.

Any ideas??

knackered engine?? :(

Attachments

• 100_2753.JPG
    100_2753.JPG
    711.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_2754.JPG
    100_2754.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_2755.JPG
    100_2755.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 221
Oh dear, that looks pritty bad - perhaps the last owner of the engine spilt some oil down it by accident?

Dusk said:
Oh dear, that looks pritty bad - perhaps the last owner of the engine spilt some oil down it by accident?

Im sure Kristian would of told me about it if he did. He not like that anyway.

take the head off, it could be that all the valves are broke or summot. but iam not good with the mechanic side of thing so ask some who knows what hes talking about lol.

just txt kristian and hes said clean as much as possible out then get engine running and it will burn it out after a couple of mins of grey smoke outta exhaust haha. yeh very enviromentally friendly :(

will take it all apart i think (well pay kristian to sort it) and give it a good clean and renew a few things and get rid of a few unwanted things too :)

there are oil seals at the too and bottom of the spark plug sleaves. i think its one of these that lets oil into the sleave. probably the bottom one. seen it loads in the 4yrs i worked in a nissan garage, no one ever bothered to fix em though. don't think it would do any damage, just fills up that little bit in the bottom.

I was going to say that it would have been fine, because it has only just come out of his car... i think its a case of filling his car up with oil and some of it working down the first plug-hole..

Cheers guys for opinions. Will have to wait and see when its in the car in about a month haha cause i wanna save and get cams in it while its out. :)

9 time out 10 this is just oil seeping past the rubber o-ring gasket that seals between the spark plug hole and the cam cover. You can clean it all out but i'll probably leak when you start the engine up again.

Remove the cam cover and replace the gaskets. She'll be apples then.

I fail to see how that much oil can get into the spark plug well when the spark plug has been installed....

Erm... Im still stuck on the mechanicly sound advice of...
clean as much as possible out then get engine running and it will burn it out after a couple of mins of grey smoke outta exhaust

How exactly will this oil 'burn'? since the oil wont be entering the cylinder... the engine wouldnt be very good and wouldnt last so long if oil could get in around the spark plug. If oil could just... drip in, then surely on each compression stroke the fuel would spew out of each cylinder like some elaborate fountain.

Where will this grey smoke come from out of the exaust? because if the oil is burning some how... like the temperature around the spark plug gets high enough...unlikely... but how does this 'grey smoke' get to the exaust?...

hmmm interesting....

take the cam cover off and look at it for damage, also its a good way to check of any more engine wear or dirt, then if its bad, get in touch with kris :)

I think the cylinder will still get a spark, the oil could get in the cylinder with the plug removed, but only a small amount and when the car turns over, that tiny amount would get burned with the petrol. Tbh I just think kristian has filled the oil up and spilt it on the top of the engine, i've done that before. Maybe he was changing the leads at the same time, had the leads off and the oil went down the hole.

As allready said, nothing to worry about... but just a knackered oil seal at the bottom of the plug tube.

Even the new K12's have started to do this now, so it's nothing to worry about. It doesn't lose much oil at the end of the day anyway... but if you want to sort it, it's just a case of the four seals.

The oil ONLY get's to the top area of the plug where the spark enters the plug, and in no way shape or form... get's burned in the combustion process, as it doesn't enter the cylinder.

-Elliot

Andy_S said:
New 1.3 Engine. Go to clean oil off it and take each spark plug lead out. and number 1 lead is full of oil.

Any ideas??

knackered engine?? :(
ur rocker cover gasket would b split around ur spark plug port that should b it

yeah it will defo be the rocker gasket, does it on mine. need to change it really, when i serviced it and changed teh spark plugs the oil fell into the cylinder but it burnt after a few mins. needs to be done though

andy...if all else fails, and the engine blows up in your face then you can buy my engine... say 80quid...you could put performance cams in mine...

Only got 108,000 on it, and its sound as a pound....

Edited by Arnold

I owned the car before ricky did, and i can honestly day the engine is A1, and has been serviced every 5k miles, oil+filter... and sparks when they needed it.
Id trust it to run the mongol rally... and back without any problems.

The spark plug 'well' had oil in it. He then removed the plug which let all that oil into the cylinder head.

after a few minutes the oil would be completely burned out..then RE-clean the plug and everythings fine.

The engine is sound.

Back