2001 Y K11 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected - a few troubleshooting questions...

Hi there - first post here so hello to all.

There is lots of info on the web about engine misfires but I have a few specific questions before I get my hands dirty.

My OBD2 tool has diagnosed a single fault code of P0301 which is a misfire in cylinder 1. The engine management light is solid and turned on about 100 miles after it's general service (new plugs, leads, oil, etc.).

Car does not run rough but when idling it's a bit up and down. The exhaust pops a little as well. Feels like it could cut out but never really threatens to.

After resetting the system the light came back on about 15 miles later while driving at about 35 mph. It then went out once on it's own but has now come back.

My mechanic (whom I trust and have been going to for over 11 years) is over 160 miles away and I do not want to drive the car this far for him to check it over again at risk of further damage to the cat. So...

Should I start by just removing the plug, lead and coil from cylinder 1 which I assume is the left hand side one when looking down at the engine?

Is it safe to just unplug the lead from the coil box and run the car? What exactly would I be looking for if I did this? No difference I assume if the problem is the lead, coil or plug?

I'd like to do as much as possible to pin point the issue before taking it to a local garage so as to avoid being ripped off with unnecessary troubleshooting and tests.

I don't have any plug removal tool so I suppose I should buy one first or will I get away with normal adjustable wrenches or a set of grips?

Thanks in advance guys. Am willing to try what you suggest within reason!

:grinning:

Thanks frank - I suppose this would tell me if the problem is the coil, rather than the lead or the plug.

I will try this tomorrow and report back.

:)

aye :) and if it flags up a "missfire on # 2" then try another coil eh (i have one or two spare :wasntme:)

Like frank states check the coils by moving them around. If you change the plug just be careful you don't thread the head, (happened to me grr )

Had a problem with my coils some time ago, if you need to buy a replacement your best bet is a breakers yard.

Prices back in 2007/2008 (single unit)

Nissan dealer: £180+vat
Local bosch parts dealer: £58+vat
Local breakers: £15 no vat

Hello again.

Well I have swapped all 4 coils over (pop!) and reset the system.

The light has not come back on yet but the scanner has picked up the same fault as a pending problem. It does so within minutes of the engine running at idle (not been out on a run yet).

So it's not the coil...

Would have been too easy really if it was wouldn't it... :suspect:

I suppose my only other option is to look at the plugs.

Back