...very poor hot starting & not great fuel economy

CMF_raymebabes

» CMF Member
My micra is fine in every way until it reaches normal operating tempature, after which, if the engine is switched off. It proves very difficult to start again.
I find that I have to pedal it (throttle) repeatedly, and when it does start, its very slow to pick up, along with clouds of smoke from the back.
I've read the throttle body resoldering guide, but my micra doesnt exhibit some of the other symptoms like poor idle, very poor fuel economy.
I was wondering if anyone has had symptoms like mine and if they found the cure?
Im anxious to solve this problem as cheaply as possible & dont want to renew loads of stuff that doesnt need replacing...

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
My Micra has the same issue.

It improved a little bit with some fuel additive (Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with Injector Cleaner) and running on 98RON fuel - BP Ultimate.

But she's still hard to start when warm and still spews black soot out the rear once it gets going.

I too have no other issues normally associated with the throttle body/afm. I also get excellent fuel consumption figures as low as 5.5L/100km.

I think a few of us came to a conclusion it was a leaky injector but I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet. Noone seems to have a spare injector rail with injectors and I don't really have the money to be throwing around buying new injectors either.

In the mean time - I suggest that when it is hot and you want to start it up again, Turn the key to ON and wait for the fuel pump to stop priming. While this is happening, also hold down the accelerator & pump it a few times to shake the air up a bit (if there is a leaky injector the hot air in there will probably vapourise the fuel, meaning when you turn it over there will be fuel being injected into air which is already filled with fuel causing it to be slow to pick up until it gets some fresh air).

Good luck with it and if you find what the problem is please please PLEASE post it up and let me know.

Cheers

Back