urgent, whats this?

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
hey peoples, im cleaning up my engine bay and came across this, my guess is it has something to do with emissions etc.. my question is can i piss it off? and obviously block the pipes that used to go to it?

it has 4 pipes coming out of it.. 2 to the intake manifold, one to the fuel tank :s and another to i dont know what (it goes into a connection near the firewall..)

pics :

Attachments

• 30784.jpg
    30784.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 28

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
It's a vapour canister. All emission vehicles with non-vented fuel tanks use them.
Prevents the release of hydrocarbons and all that bad **** into the atmosphere.
Does not effect performance in any way that I'm aware of. Personally I'd leave it on.
If your were unlucky enough to have the car checked for compliance I'm told they get pretty "thingy" about stuff like that.

Mychael

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Remember that all new cars have non-vented tanks. On a hot day or with a low tank you might have heard the brief hiss of air when you open the filler cap. Think of that canister as being a capacitor for petrol fume expansion on hot days and contraction on cold or empty tanks.
You might make problems for yourself. I cannot say for sure with a fuel injected car. On my carby car, I modded the fuel tank to breath to open air and deleted all the extra hoses and the canister, but that was for an unregistered car used on a farm. It ran fine, but for Micras, I don't have the knowledge to say.

Mychael

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
thanks Jay22

well i removed it and all the bull**** that goes with it, blocked the intakes holes and put a mini filter on the petrol tank line so it can stil breathe.. beleive it or not after blocking the two holes in the intake manifold throttle response actually feels alot better and its smoother and quicker through the rev range and it seems to run fine with out it

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
If your vehicle is found to be missing the carbon canister, or is found to have had any of its emission gear modified or removed then be prepared for trouble & big fines.

The carbon canister stores the excess fuel vapour from the tank. At a certain temp (controlled by the vac temp switch) the vapour will be released back into the intake at a certain rpm (normally around 2,000rpm).

So basicly its giving you back the fuel you would normally loose through evapouration. It has no effect on performaces what so ever, as long as the system is in good condition. It's extremely rare for one of these to give problems.

CMF_egSi

» CMF Member
i took mine out of my civic, i have had no problems so far, i have vented the tank elsewhere and blocked remaining lines.

i say do it, its ugly and the engine bay looks so much cleaner without it! its all about the vainity lol ;o)

Back