*Urgent help needed* Leeking shock

paddymarsden

Iggy Iggy oooooooooo
Guys, ive found tonight that i have a leaking front driver side shock, its soaked in oil and the passenger one isnt, so i know it must be leaking.

My question is, should i stop driving the car alltogether ? i understand i need to get a new shock asap but would it be dangerous to drive while leaking ? Also when i drive on a reasonably smooth road with a few bumps i can hear it knocking. the passenger side front shock makes the 'pssss' when you lean on the car like it should.

some advice please :)

i doubt it,ll cause any damage, but if the shock is empty, the handling might be a bit dodgy

paddymarsden

its best to change the shocks as a pair (though a 2nd hand one might be ok)

yea im trying to source a second hand shock....found an iggy on ebay thats been broken so will enquire about that tomorrow. i cant see me inflicting more damage onto the shock as the sping is there. Like you said i will notice the handling become shocking

paddymarsden

you,ll know when the shock is empty, if you push down on that corner and it keeps bouncing up and down :eek:

ohhh i see, so really the answer to my question is no, i dont have to stop driving but i do need to rectify the problem asap. Also drive carfully from now on.

you'll probably start to hear it knocking as it gets worse also...but yeah deffo be careful and get it swtiched asap. :)

Cheers guys, put my mind at rest a little now *few*

i was scared the shock might rip through my bonnet and dance around ontop when i realised what the problem was.

will ring Suzuki and enquire about a new shock (will make sure im sat down before hearing the price) but will prob get one off a scrap car

The oil is the damping medium, it's sole purpose is to slow the action of the shock absorber down, if all the oil has leaked from it then it will still drive without damaging any other parts, but the lack of damping fluid will dramatically alter the performance of the suspension and brakes, you will also probably feel more vibration through the steering wheel, it's best to replace the shocks as a pair due to them wearing out through age/milage, an older or higher milage damper will react differently to a new damper, this could possibly make the situation worse.

Back